Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was to the vets a few days back, she told me that she was healthy, she got red rings of the red stuff dried around her eyes today, she has been sleeping for a while I believe, hasn't washed it off yet, is this normal?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Somre rats do get red staining around their eyes/nose after waking up (it is called porphyrin) but they usually groom it off fairly shortly after awakening so if you see it hours later, there's a good chance something else is happening - health wise.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the most part it's gone now, but theres still a little, almost starting to think that its a wound on one of her eyes as I tried to rub it away and it's satill stuck, looks like a tiny scab one ONE eye. It is not new stuff that comes out, but the old stuff is dried stuck and she cant get it off, nor can i.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Could have poked herself in the eye area? Does she live with cagemates that could have accidentally scratched her? I would just clean it and monitor it for changes. If it is a minor injury or scratch it should heal pretty quickly provided you keep the area clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts