Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've began noticing what appears to be bruising on my girls' tails. Daisy has it the most severe. I first saw it last Friday, but I thought it was just residue from her sleeping on top of a piece of dark chocolate (they have had URIs). Today, I took her out and noticed that she has more of them, and when I gently rubbed the spot it appeared to not be chocolate at all. She has reddish and brownish marks all over her tail. Millie has some too. I haven't seen them endure any abnormal trauma to the tail. They wrestle a little bit, but they've never gotten into any severe physical trouble. Is this normal? They are on Baytril right now and I can't help but wonder if this is a side effect.

EDIT: I will try to get some pictures of it soon.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Is it just spotting? Like kind of birthmark looking?

My rats had this while they were on medication also, although I think with time it just kinda happens anyhow because their skin on their tails falls off from being dead and it replaces itself etc. I wouldn't really concern myself with it too much unless they seem to be in pain from the markings.

You can try a humidifier. That helped clear up my girls tails and it worked amazingly to help them breathe a little better when they were sick also.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It could be dirt/dead skin. My girls tend to get that before they need a bath, particularly Charlotte, who has a lighter tail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts