Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two rats living in the same cage, one has red stuff under his eyes and red bumps on his tail which seem to scab over. The other seems perfectly healthy. I dont think its related to mites because they've lived together since we bought them (over a month ago). Does anyone know what might be wrong?

·
Registered
928 Posts
im not sure whatt could be wrong but just to be safe take ur ratties to the vet dont just take the one make sure u take them all incase there carrying somthing. dont mean to worry you but its better to be safe than sorry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i dont want to sound cheap but im a student an really cant afford a doctor for myself, much less a vet; especially considering that besides the bumps he seems really healthy, (energetic, great appatite ect) I was thinking of using a shampoo I have that has tee tree oil on him, it'd be pretty effective at combating mites or any kind of skin infection. Could that cause any problems.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You might want to do some research on tea tree oil. I think it might contain phenols which are potentially toxic to rats. I would tend to steer clear of anything that smells that strong. If you think it's mites, look for a mild mite soap at the pet store. It shouldn't cost you too much. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts