Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the rat that gave me ringworm, although i couldn't find what looked like ringworm on her anywhere, she has had this red crusty stuff on her paws/arms, what looks like dried blood. none of my other girls had it. this morning, i just noticed now my new girl(i've had her for a few days) has it on her paws!! does anyone know what this might be, or does this sound like something a vet might need to address?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Could be porphyrin that they're wiping off their mouth/nose/eyes and onto their arms/paws while they're grooming. Excess porphyrin can mean they're feeling sick (kinda like a runny nose in people). Hopefully it's just a normal amount and not anything worse?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i thought of that, but they don't seem to have the porphyrin anywhere, like on their noses or eyes - so i don't think thats what it is. is it possible it's the ringworm? i dont know what it looks like on rats.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I've got ringworm on a hairless rat right now and it's not the 'rings' you would expect in humans. In him, it's areas on red blotchiness and dry skin. Your vet should be able to diagnose ringworm using a UV light (some strains glow under UV) or a skin scrape.

Otherwise, I would think that it could be porphyrin, however, you're right. It does seem odd that she has it nowhere else

·
Registered
330 Posts
i had the same thing on one of my friends rats (wich i was looking after) but it just went away after a while, but maybe if it doesnt stop you should take her to the vet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts