Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all!

So when I woke up this morning I noticed that my boy Sammy had quite a bit of red discharge from his right eye. I know this can be a sign of illness. He hasn't been sneezing more than usual and I listened to his breathing and it doesn't sound labored or crackley. Would you say this calls for a vet visit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Apparently this is normal when they first wake up if it's not an overwhelming bit. I'd just wipe it off with warm water and a qtip and keep an eye on him. Mark down the times and days when you notice it. If it's pretty frequent, I'd get a round of antibiotics from the vet. But if he isn't showing any other signs he should be okay :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you see some porphyrin around your rats eyes or nose for a short period of time (and there are no other symptoms), then it's no biggie.
Here is some information on the red discharge (porphyrin)
http://ratguide.com/health/eyes/porphyrin_secretions_red_tears.php

You typically will see a small amount when they first wake up or if they are having a stressful moment (like going for a car ride or if they were just scared by something, etc).
The key is to make sure he is keeping it clean. If he has it all cleaned off within a few minutes and it stays off, it's fine. If he can't keep up with keeping the porphyrin cleaned off, then it is usually a sign of illness.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts