Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my youngest, maggie, always seems to have a red tinge to her fur in certain spots (shes albino). i noticed it especially today, as it was bath day. after returning her to the comfort of the cage, i noticed red stains on her fur, on top of her head and on either side..

what is this?? dont think its blood, as i see it after most bath days and its still there when shes dry, just faded out a bit. but bath days seem to bring it out more.

my guess is shes stressed out (obviously with water)

tips/ideas welcomed

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My guess would be it's porphyrin that she's rubbing onto her fur while she's grooming or while she's being groomed. Providing she doesn't appear ill, it's probably fine.

·
Registered
489 Posts
it means her and he friends groomed her. They hv porphyrin(red stuff) in their salivia. After the bath, they must have tried to lick her dry..

·
Registered
84 Posts
wow!Thats what happens with my white albino rat..!Yah.i thought it was blood cause its normally in the same spot cause when he cleans thats where he licks so i thought maybe his tongue was blleeding:S

·
Registered
722 Posts
That happens to one of my girls a lot... I noticed that one of my other rats peed on her head once (gross, I know), and then she got it again (I give her baths to wash it off).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ye your right it will most likely from the saliva. 2 of my hooded rats have it as well but I just leave it. It just makes the fur go a little pink/red.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
madeittothemoon said:
That happens to one of my girls a lot... I noticed that one of my other rats peed on her head once (gross, I know), and then she got it again (I give her baths to wash it off).
thats funnny cuz my friend always says if my mom doesnt let me go to her house she will pee on her head and now its rats doing it to
except for that wasnt even funny but it was 8O

1 - 8 of 8 Posts