Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently i've noticed that around my all white rat, starlight, her eyes are a little reddish and now she has dark red eye boogers, now it looks like my other two ratties are starting to look red around the eyes, what is this? is it deadly? can i treat it myself or do they need to see a vet? any answers will be greatly appreciated because I'm really worried about my little girls...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Its probably Porphorin (sp?) Its a natural substance thats in the rats saliva , tear ducts , nose etc.

Its usually cause by stress or an underlying issue , How old are they ? Have they moved around recently ?

Any symtoms of sneezing or coughing ?

If there are no other issues its probably just stress so keep things quiet and lots of cuddles ( if they are bonded wiith you ))

Try bathing them in warm water to remove it if they cant groom it off themselves.

If they start sneezing , wheezing , coughing etc. Then they may have a URI and you should take them to a vet to get Baytril or something similar to clear it up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well they have no other symptoms...but i'll keep you posted, thanks for your help:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts