Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed yesterday that my rat has red around one of his eyes, does anyone know if this is an injury or a weepy eye? Has anyone seen this before? Should I try to wait and see if it goes away or call the vet? Any input would be helpful, thanks!

Eye Vertebrate Rabbit Mammal Rodent

·
Registered
RIP Biscuit, Bandit, Sage, Mink, & Shadow
451 Posts
That's porphyrin, a mucus secreted from their eyes and/or nose. Lots of it can indicate respiratory illness. Have a listen to his breathing/lungs (hold his chest up next to your ear) they should be completely silent with no wheezing or any other noises. It may be he's just woken up and hasn't had time to clean it off, though. Have a listen to his breathing and sit tight to see if it stays there.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
If it's just one eye, it's most likely an injury, and they can take a long time to heal. My Waffle took a toenail to the eye a few weeks ago (Taco shoves everyone in the face) and it's still red and porhy in the mornings. I gently wipe it every couple of days to keep the skin and fur clean, but otherwise I just let him wash it. Phyllis had a red-weepy eye that lasted two months!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts