Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week or two ago I noticed a red scab thing on my rats back. I had seen her play fighting with her sister earlier, so I assumed it was nothing and she had just gotten scratched. A couple days later I found another one.

I looked into rat tumors but the scabs didn’t match the descriptions and pictures. She’s also fairly young (about 10 months) so I didn’t think it was a tumor. I also looked on here, but again, they don’t seem to match the pictures and descriptions. Everyone has said the fur near the scabs fell out, but hers was underneath the fur.

She was acting completely fine and I had to go on vacation, so I assumed it was nothing and told the pet sitter to keep an eye on it. I just got back and there are more scabs. The two that were there when I left have gotten more raw, and all the other scabs formed in between the two originals.

Does anyone know what’s going on? Will she be in pain? What can I do to help? (Sorry the pictures aren’t very good, she wouldn’t stay still)
Skin Head Hand Eye Rodent

Hand Dog breed Whiskers Fawn Marsupial

Hand Ear Felidae Carnivore Eyelash
Hand Ear Felidae Carnivore Eyelash

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,488 Posts
Firstly, she's beautiful!! And what @CorbinDallasMyMan said, could be mites and that is the exact location of where you'll find the little scabies. If you scratch and feel around her back, between the shoulder blades and along her back, and you see her REALLY enjoying it, most likely mites. I scratch and pick and loosen the scabs and clean the area with a moustache comb or a flea comb. And always treat everyone with Revolution. Put a single drop on your finger and press between your finger and thumb, then wipe it between the shoulder blades. That way you won't put too much on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firstly, she's beautiful!! And what @CorbinDallasMyMan said, could be mites and that is the exact location of where you'll find the little scabies. If you scratch and feel around her back, between the shoulder blades and along her back, and you see her REALLY enjoying it, most likely mites. I scratch and pick and loosen the scabs and clean the area with a moustache comb or a flea comb. And always treat everyone with Revolution. Put a single drop on your finger and press between your finger and thumb, then wipe it between the shoulder blades. That way you won't put too much on.
Tysm this was really helpful!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts