Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl has red staining on her ears. I believe it's porphorin because whenever I bring my girls for their meds I wet a qtip with water and clean off their eyes and noses just to make sure it's not building up and whatever was on her ear was the same colour and washed off the same as porphorin.

I'm just wondering if this is common in rats? And if it means something more serious or if it's just one of those things that happens from time to time if they're stressed out or ill?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
porphyrin doesn't secrete from ears, unfortunately. It could be another sneezing onto the ear, injury on the ear, or even something like an ear infection/ruptured ear drum.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
When Isis had a URI, I noticed that she was starting to stain red behind her ears. I think that may be from her grooming porphyrin off of her face then wiping behind her ears. Not sure if that would be the case with your girl, but I'd assume even with their morning porphyrin, if they don't clean their hands after cleaning porphyrin from their face then it may happen.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have mentioned it was on the back of her ears. And it was almost like a straight line down on one and hardly any on the other. It happened to her when I first got her and I just kept wiping it off and eventually it completely stopped. I was just curious if anyone else had experience with this.

Also, how much porphorin from the nose/eyes is normal? Normally my girls have a little tiny crusty in one of their eyes and one (the one I wrote this post about) has enough to maybe turn a q tip light pink once I'm done wiping it off. I do this 2 times a day btw.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Then kks probably right, just some residual porphyrin from grooming.

A little every day is normal, though the rat should be able to groom this away while waking up. Having enough to discolor a q-tip twice a day could indicate illness that isn't going away, so if she's been on meds for more than 5 days I would consider switching medicine. Otherwise, I would try using a humidifier in the room and check for any stressors (new cat, recently moved, etc) or triggers (strong smelling candles/cleaning products/air fresheners).

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then kks probably right, just some residual porphyrin from grooming.

A little every day is normal, though the rat should be able to groom this away while waking up. Having enough to discolor a q-tip twice a day could indicate illness that isn't going away, so if she's been on meds for more than 5 days I would consider switching medicine. Otherwise, I would try using a humidifier in the room and check for any stressors (new cat, recently moved, etc) or triggers (strong smelling candles/cleaning products/air fresheners).
She's been on and off of meds since December 10th and is doing a lot better. I do have a cat that shows interest in them but I don't let her jump near their cage or anything. As far as when I'm not home I don't know what goes on though. It's honestly probably from cleaning it like the person above said. And for the qtip thing, it's not the whole qtip, it's only a little portion. I've started using a humidifier and it has decreased the amount of porphorin so I hope it will get better with time and meds also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts