Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some things that I have posted before, but it's just to give you some background on how things are at my house:

"First, I should say, for those who don't know, that the "playroom" is my bathroom, which includes cabinets, one drawer, and a shower. Gregor ran around in the cabinets, but kept his "stuff" behind the trashcan. Gus, however, moved in. First, he wanted the drawer, so I gave him the WHOLE drawer...removed all of my stuff...and then, he wanted a "say" in how the cabinets were decorated. Namely: nothing that was potentially dangerous to rats, lots of boxes for gnawing, cotton balls, tissues, etc. So, we're "sharing" those, but Gus is in charge. Boo just "inheirited" the cabinet set up, although Gus isn't happy about sharing the drawer. The whole place is not only rat-proofed, it's rat-friendly..."

THEN...

"BTW, Gus didn't want to go to bed tonight...he got comfy and decided to sleep in his drawer. Just to show you who's in charge around here, I thought, "Well, if he's happy, I won't make him go to bed until I really need to go to bed." It was two hours. It's almost four in the AM here, and I'm only just getting ready to lie down. But hey - I don't want to deny Gus what he wants!"

------------------------

Well tonight, I officially passed the "deed" to the cabinets and drawer off to Gus and Boo.

I removed the last of "my" stuff that was around...now all of "my" stuff is protected in a big, tupperware box under there. I took some stuff out of the drawer, too...I didn't really use it, but neither do the rats, so since it's not "their" stuff, I don't need it in "their" place.

AND, I placed this bird-ladder, that arches both up and down, in a place where it would give them an easy way to get to a place that they like. There are hanging wooden toys with bells on the ladder, too, and they just LOVE the new decorating!

I figure, I may as well make it official. I'll print up a deed, and get both of their paw prints in a stamp or in paint; that will be pretty cute!

They REALLY want this "play space," and Gus has made it clear that it is his "home away from home," so I figure I can spare it, to make them happy.

(Someday, though, we'll probably remodel the bathroom, because it's old. THEN, I'm going to get cabinets with STRONG magnets, so that they can't get in there...they'll just have to play where they can play. But for now, they own property!)

Here are two pix, from before I got the last of "my" stuff out of there:

Gus Loves His Drawer

Brothers In The Cabinets

Am I a little insane, to be redecorating for my rats? :lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Honestly, yes! But we've all done it- though I didn't relinquish an entire room for mine. They look so at home in those pics! Thanks for sharing. xx

·
Registered
407 Posts
remember....you OWN nothing
Your rats own it all.

You HAVE nothing
your rats have it all

Thats the way it is at my house - isnt that the way its supposed to be??

LOL :wink:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hee hee hee! Funny responses, folks!

vawny, I LOVE your "running ratty!" :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
My rats like to redecorate my pants and shirts... while I am wearing them.

Haha... This is my frist post on this forum... will probably be posting more often.

One time our female hairless decided to hop on my desk and chew a big hole in the foam woofer surrounds of my new nearfield monitors (speakers). I guess she doesn't like my taste in music.

She is redecorating my pocket as I speak... but the desk is off limits!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL! Well, I don't know if ~she~ knows that the desk is off limits, or if she regards it as being, "someplace that is off limits FOR NOW." :D

I just want to say a word in defense of my sanity...or, maybe, this will actually go towards proving my INsanity, but anyway:

I didn't just ~give~ them the cabinets and drawer. They kind of "took it" from me, and now they have what are called "squatter's rights." I'm just the Landlord! ;) Gus has been angling for that whole drawer for as long as he's known it's there, and it dawned on me last night that, if I'm actually installing ladders in there for them, then I may as well call it "theirs." After all, it's not my ladder, and it's not my bells, and it's not my cotton, and it's not my tissue, and it's not my cardboard tubes of different sizes, and it USED to be my set of foam curlers, but two little furries found out that those are fun to chew, so they're not mine anymore. :lol:

P.S. If you look really close at the pic of Gus in his drawer, you will see, on the left, one of my pink foam hair curlers that somehow found its way up there...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well... LTNG (little tiny naked guy), the female hairless, likes to jump... and she has decided to make my chair the target of her landings, and where she goes from there I can only try to contain. I push the chair far away when I am not there to make sure she doesn't do any more speaker modifications.

My others, have taken it upon themselves to "decorate" the sheets we use to cover the couch with holes. Only one of my rats (camel) is nice enough to keep his artwork to the rat towel and not everything with fabric. It's a bad habit, because one (tubes), I can't play with on my lap so much because she bites through and into... umm... flesh.

Since I am introducing all the names... my other, a male, is named Tiny (pictured on my shoulder in avatar)... he is the largest rat I had ever seen and is the closest to a lap rat. I bought him because I kept seeing him ignored at the pet store. I guess people generally buy the little ones, but tiny seemed to want me to take him every time I went... I even had that name for him months before i took him home.

·
Registered
443 Posts
They're not spoiled, just well loved! :lol:

I was shocked the other day when I moved my bed to vacuum, there was quite the stash of shredded paper, pencils, even a badly chewed book. And lots of food...they must be relaying it from the bowl in their cage to under the bed. I think my girls are preparing for the next ice age.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts