Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as many of you know im getting rats for Christmas. (Im so excited!)
And i was looking around on the internet and i saw Reggie Rat food. Check it out and let me know if you think its good for young rats.

http://www.afrma.org/cc_reggierat.htm

Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
Re: Reggie Rat.....Is It Ok For Yound Rats?

i buy a mixture actually i buy reggie rat a natural kaytee blend and lab blocks i mix them all together my rats used to discard the long black tube things but now they eat them

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well do you guys think i should just feed them Reggie Rat? Or some dog food too?

·
Registered
222 Posts
oh yea my rats like dog food they steal it sometimes but if u want to add dog food make sure you get california natural or what ever brand has the least amount of chemicals or else your rat will get fat and possibly poisoning

·
Registered
520 Posts
I agree with Passion, just say NO to both of those diets.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I go to My local grocery store for my rats staple diet. I cannot afford fancy rat foods so i decided id study what is healthy for rats.

I have came up with my own mix!

Origional oatmeal

Brown rice

some mastacholi noodles (the ones with barley wheat) they are a dark brown noodle.

i have add some non healthy dog foods a few times (Not reccomended but rats loved it)

As far as how much of each to add is up too u.. my mix is like 4 parts oatmeal 3part brown rice and around 1 part noodles.

Or in other words... most is oatmeal the brown rice should be noticably in the oatmeal after mixing. and the noodles need to be about 2 every 2inches or so inthe surface of the mix.

this costs about 3-5 dollars for 2 ibs. I think its pretty healthy my rats dont have health issues.

·
Registered
447 Posts
AustinXAPMX3 said:
It looks good, what kind do you get it shows alot of different kinds
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/...-_-Broad_Ad_622300149|-|100000000000000001478
if ur talking about using these dog foods as a staple diet then u probably shouldnt because dogs require alot of proteins rats require proteins but not nearly as much as dogs. to much proteins means bad skin conditions bad coat conditions. and could possibly make the rat fat. rats should be muscular many beleive they need to be fat. Muscle is the way to go trust me! sorry for the double post just hope i help a fellow rat lover!

·
Registered
981 Posts
In my food post, found here:

http://www.ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3079.html

Under the Suebee's Diet section you'll find a listing of lab blocks/dog foods considered good for rats. If you go dog food, you must mix it with a grain mix of some sort (Like Suebee's Mix). If you go lab block, you can feed it by itself but the rats will appreciate more of a mix.

The only two good lab blocks are Harlan Teklad and Regal Rat. (I'm not sure if I've put Regal Rat in that post yet or not)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I dont beleive this is the best idea. This looks like an independant clerk trying to make a buck off of a 10dollar mix. lol Beleive me just buy some of those ingredients i listed and feed these to your rats. If u are willing to spend a good amt of money lab blocks is definitely the way to go for the staple diet. Good treats include some no or low fat yougurt some fruits and smoe veggies. eggs are a favorite but i wuldnt advise to many..

as far as the site u found goes i dont have any experience with it but some of those ingredients seem healthy enough for rats...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yah thanks for your help :D I appreciate it, im getting rats for Christmas. So it soon, im just trying to get more and more prepared.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts