Rat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[align=center]So I heard about how Kaytee was bad and all, which I didn't know before, so I have switched over to Reggie Rat. From the choices Petco had, it looked the most healthy, and the one thing I liked was there were no sunflower seeds in the mix, which I've also heard are really fatty, for rats. So I decided I could buy natural sunflower seeds and mix a couple in their food. Anyways, It would be a great help if you guys could tell me how you feel about this product. Is it good? Or should I switch to something else? Thank you <333[/align]

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Reggie Rat contains alfalfa pellets which are indigestible to rats (they probably won't touch them). Beyond that, I think it has no corn in it, which is good, but there are better things out there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Better things such as what? Thanks for the help, and are you sure alfalfa is indigestible to rats? Why would this be, I only ask because they have alfalfa cubes for almost every other small animal. rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, gerbils and hamsters?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Mazuri is one of the best pet store 'rat' foods. Else some high quality natural dog foods with low protein do well when paired with a grain mixture, or there are good lab blocks available online.

I am 99.9% sure that rats cannot/have a very hard time digesting alfalfa. You'll find it in most pet store foods, it usually gets ignored. I'm not sure if other animals can, perhaps those that are strict herbivores can and the others cannot. It's also high in protein and phytoestrogens, which aren't very good for rat anyway, so it's probably best they don't eat it. :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
:lol: I've never been on an awesome people list before! :lol:

·
Registered
130 Posts
A lot of pet shops have lose rat food. My 6 rats like it more than the pepack stuff. Ask the sales person they will tell you the best one to go for.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Loose rat food? What's in it? :?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
the first bag of food I bought for my ratties was bulk rat food. The food contained big pellets (about twice the size of forti-diet for reference) Luckily I bought it from a store that was a few hours away from where I lived, and I haven't seen any like it since. Knowing what I know now however, I wouldn't buy it unless the nutrition facts were provided.

perhaps it is a similar food?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I guess I'd assume it is something like a generic Forti-Diet... but I wouldn't buy it unless I knew what was in it. :?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'd assume so as well. The girl at the store (a rat owner as well) said it was the best thing to feed your rats. It wasn't a chain, so perhaps there is a possibility it was Harlan Teklad? I dunno :) I was a rat owner of two hours when I bought it so even if she gave me a name I couldn't remember it now :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
YES OMG!!! It was big and flat on both sides just like that..........is it possible they ACTUALLY sold me Harland Teklad??? My mind is blown. I mean I remember the girl I talked to. She seemed really nice. She seemed pretty informed, and I could tell she loved her rats but that is the store that sold me Ostrich as a female...........i'm just confused now.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I don't know. It's possible, I suppose. I'd still want proof before I fed it to my rats, but it would be nice to think that some stores actually have HT. :lol:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Well I should call that pet store to find out anyhoo. My boyfriends sister adopted 4 rats, and she is in the area of that pet store!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts