Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i was wondering if anyone had any opinions about this food. id it a good main diet or little bits on the side or what?
thnx for all your help

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Reggie Rat contains whole corn, which can easily mold, and alfalfa pellets, which have little to no nutritional value to your rat as they are very difficult/impossible to digest.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I don't believe anyone recommends this. Is it a premade mix or just lab blocks? If it's lab blocks and you're only looking for pet store lab blocks, you're going to want Mazuri. Though I'd recommend ordering Harlan Teklad online.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
cjshrader said:
Forensic you're always a few seconds faster than me AND I'M TIRED OF IT.

Ok not really.
:cry: :cry:

Okay, just kidding. ;)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If you're able to order online, I would go for Oxbow's Regal Rat. There really aren't any overly-fabulous lab blocks out there, unfortunately. Mazuri is, come to find out, a pretty sub-par brand (and also outrageously expensive), and Harlan ingredients are... eh. Regal Rat is the best commercial diet out there.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Night would you make a post in rat health some time explaining why you think Regal Rat is better than Harlan Teklad? You are the only person I've ever heard say that and I'm curious as to why, and figure it'd be important to other people as well.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
It'll have to be a joint effort with Darksong, since she's my rat food Go-To girl :p I know it's better, while she knows exactly why. :wink:

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I don't know the in's and out's of a good rat diet as a lot here do, but I feed all of mine Excel Supa Rat. They all seem to really like it and I've noticed no ill effects

·
Registered
187 Posts
Reggie rat is not a bad food to feed. It has a low protein and fat content. But the problem is the fact that it's a mix, rats will pick and choose what they like best and leave out the rest which could make their diet unbalanced.
The mold in corn... well, really if you read up on it, there can be mold in anything that has been kept in silos so that could be all your cereal grains in the suebee's mix as well.
Alfalfa does have nutritional value but what the rat can't digest is cellulose in the alfalfa. It doesn't mean he can't eat it, it just goes right through you faster. Same as in humans, we can't digest cellulose either.
Besides, rats are so smart, they know they can't digest the alfalfa bits so they just leave them in the bowl.

edited to add: I too believe that Oxbow Regal rat is superior to Harlan. The only problem is the palatability of the food.

·
Registered
393 Posts
jorats said:
Reggie rat is not a bad food to feed. It has a low protein and fat content. But the problem is the fact that it's a mix, rats will pick and choose what they like best and leave out the rest which could make their diet unbalanced.
The mold in corn... well, really if you read up on it, there can be mold in anything that has been kept in silos so that could be all your cereal grains in the suebee's mix as well.
Alfalfa does have nutritional value but what the rat can't digest is cellulose in the alfalfa. It doesn't mean he can't eat it, it just goes right through you faster. Same as in humans, we can't digest cellulose either.
Besides, rats are so smart, they know they can't digest the alfalfa bits so they just leave them in the bowl.

edited to add: I too believe that Oxbow Regal rat is superior to Harlan. The only problem is the palatability of the food.

I have to disagree with this. The problem with the corn is that it is feed grade dried corn and not fresh human grade corn. It's likely to not only harbor mold but also mycotoxins which are carcinogenic. Studies show rats are even more sensitive to these carcinogens.

Besides that it has a lot of dyes (some of which have been linked to possible health concerns) in it and alfalfa is not really an appropriate ingredient in a diet for an animal who has difficulty digesting and deriving nutrients from it even if they do know better and pick around it. I don't consider Reggie Rat a good diet at all personally.

And yes Regal Rat is superior ingredient wise to Harlan, I'll try making a post on that with Night at some point :3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts