Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been feeding all of my girls Oxbow since the day I got them, they never had any problems with it. The oxbow I recently bought seems a bit darker, but it is the same forumla I have been buying. I just let out all my girls but Aphrodite was eating, so I let her finish before I grabbed her to come out with everyone. I left the room for about a minute to wash my makeup off, and I came back to a mucasy, smelled like oxbow kind of puke. I know rats cannot vomit. But should I be worried she brought her food up and its a bit mucasy? She's never done that before to my knowledge. She also went right back into the cage after I found it and immediately laid in her hammock, and usually shes the most spunky out of my girls.

Any advice?

·
Registered
52 Posts
So i've been feeding all of my girls Oxbow since the day I got them, they never had any problems with it. The oxbow I recently bought seems a bit darker, but it is the same forumla I have been buying. I just let out all my girls but Aphrodite was eating, so I let her finish before I grabbed her to come out with everyone. I left the room for about a minute to wash my makeup off, and I came back to a mucasy, smelled like oxbow kind of puke. I know rats cannot vomit. But should I be worried she brought her food up and its a bit mucasy? She's never done that before to my knowledge. She also went right back into the cage after I found it and immediately laid in her hammock, and usually shes the most spunky out of my girls. Any advice?
I just wrote a huge thing, but got logged out. Hopefully this will post! Your situation sounds exactly like what happened to my rat, Remy, on Sunday. Before I left to go out, I noticed Remy was doing something weird with his mouth. He had foam filling it, and dripping from his mouth. He was also making a throw up like motion, pulling his head back to his shoulders while trying to spit something out. I immediately freaked out. It lasted for a few hours, and afterwards e was very lethargic, breathing heavily and making weird congested noises when breathing. It was so bad I thought he wasn't going to make it through the night, or even through the afternoon until the vet appointment the next day. But he did, luckily. The vet said he probably choked and aspirated some food. She thinks he has inflamed airways. Just as a precaution though, I have him on benebac and antibiotics. He is doing much better, and he's drinking, eating, running round and perking up. I'm so thrilled! I've had experience with darker and more 'cooked' oxbow. I can see he they would choke on it. I seems so dry and powdery. It can be a fluke and isolated incident. Is she still lethargic or breathing heavily? I'd say to monitor her very closely, observing wether she's improving or worsening. If she doesn't do better, I'd look into a vet trip. Maybe the vet would find it to be the same thing that has happened to Remy. Or hopefully she will improve by herself. Well wishes and best hopes for her to improve!

·
Registered
187 Posts
You know, I noticed that the last bag of Oxbow Regal Rat that I bought had a different texture and color than the other. It was bumpier on the surface of the kibble bites. I even looked at them side-by-side when I went through the last of the old bag and saw they were a little different. I think it may have something to do with the manufacturing process differing from the last product I bought. Can't be sure unless I contact the company, though.

Then again, after reading people's dealings with Carefresh lately, I wouldn't know whether or not to take their word for it...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts