Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, both my boys had repiratory infections when i got them. Gus is fine now, we got some meds from the doc. but i have been noticing remi sneezing a bit. i also noticed some scratches on his chin, and someone here said it could just be from playing or it could be a parasite. today remi (i'm pretty sure it was him) had some pretty narly diarrhea. they are both going to the vet today. could these have any correlation?? what do you think is wrong?

UPDATE:
So Remi and Gus went to the vet today. Turns out that Remi still has a URI, and the vet said since it flared up again once, it will probably happen multiple times in his lifetime. And, the scratches that I was noticing on their chins... turns out they both have mites. So they both got an injection of Doxycycline and mite stuff. They have to go back in a week for another shot. And they are on Baytril at home.
All I have to say is... I HATE PETSMART. Never ever ever ever buy an animal there. I'm calling them today to let them know that they sold me sick rats (which I had been planning on doing when I first got them, but decided to just let it go..... but now that Remi will always have repiratory problems.... i'm going to rip em a new one.) and to also ask them to help me pay for the vet expenses. Here comes mean nasty demanding Ari... they better be ready because I am not a happy rattie owner. I'm furious with them.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Re: remi might have a problem....

oh good luck with that. it may or may not have anything to do with each other, it's hard telling sometimes. keep us updated!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they are going to send all my reciepts to corporate and see if they can get partial or full money help with the vet expenses.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so.. i went to petsmart to drop off all my vet bills, etc... and the guy was like "oh... they're still alive?" like he was shocked that the animals he sold me were still alive. also, there were several birds loose while i was in there... geniuses those people are.
never ever stepping foot in that place again... unless it is to pick up the check from corporate.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow......I have fish problems with them as well. They will only help you if you bring in the dead fish, water sample, sample of the food and a sample of any and all plants. With all that, they still only give you the amount you paid for the fish....minus tax. I don't shop there anymore.

Oh, BTW....my daughter and I will be going to Monterey Bay Aquarium the end of Jan (I HOPE) to be interviewed for one of the Explorer positions! Kind of cool to know a fellow rat lover lives there!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's awesome!! I love Monterey. I go to school here at CSU Monterey Bay, but I pretty much plan on living here forever. I love it. You will love the aquarium! I am actually majoring in Marine Biology so I have been there lots of times. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I know this isn't related but you need a sample of the food and plants as well as the fish and water? Thats weird, how would you even test those things in a store setting? Returning the fish makes sense or else you'd end up handing out fish to anyone and everyone. So does the water sample, there is no point in replacing dead fish with ones that are going to be returned dead in two days because of horrible water conditions

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know...that is what I thought. I have been a fish hobbiest for easily 20 years....I have duel flow biofilters and more plants with substraight so it is rediculous that I may have a water problem. But, that is what they wanted. They didn't even test it, they just wrote stuff down and gave me my money back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts