Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down in the lower Florida keys. My cat came in with a present and dropped an almost pinky at my feet unharmed! ( I used to raise rabbits, I certainly didn't want this project) I grabbed him looked for the nest.. no luck, no momma.
So, I named him Remi until I could find a foster mom..no luck there either..I guess he was around 4/5 days old probably kicked out of the nest. So I started brush feeding (coconut milk/evaporated milk/almond milk mix) and pooped /peed him every 3 hrs .no bloat/no issues. As he grew, I slowly incorporated local solids (after his eyes and ears opened) Housed him in a hamster cage. Solids: local banana, coconut, raw chicken with fat/live palmetto (small amounts for protein) bugs/fresh greens/local raw fruit ie, Barbadian cherry/sea grapes ect.. Once he got hair on his tail and his testies started to dragged..(about 6 wks) I transitioned him and his cage outdoors deep into the mangroves (where his kind live) with two escape routes from his cage and after 3 days he did not return.. 2 months have passed.. I thought I would never see.him again.. until today.. walking to my bike, I look up, there sitting on a rock he was! I walked over to him and he disappeared again. What a thrill to see and know he made it! ..big and healthy! I walked deeper into the mangrove to try and see him again.
Out of no where, I felt something hit the back of my shoulder.. It freaked me a bit. I kinda jumped back... it was Remi..!! I forgot his breed are tree climbers..he landed hard on me & jumped off quick (I think I startled him as he did me ) he started to run then suddenly stopped as if to say "hey, follow me" he'd run 5 feet stop, look back at me.. about 50 yards into the thick mangroves ..where he literally showed me the entrance to his new home!.. a huge pile of palm fronds..took off into the hole, next to a giant gumbo limbo tree and popped his head out the top of the pile, I hope he continues to live his little happy life and if I never see him again. That was truly thanks enough, what a gift! Thought I'd share .. a successful save and my wonderful experience knowing all along that unlike domesticated rodents, wild rats should never be kept as pets. Remi, although named and somewhat tame with my handling I was only a food source to him as he was and will always be, wild .
( photos out of order). Food Felidae Fish Ingredient Recipe

Hand Body jewelry Gesture Finger Felidae
Finger Rodent Fawn Whiskers Snout
Bat Carnivore Fawn Whiskers Terrestrial animal
Ear Felidae Fawn Rat Rodent
Hand Rodent Finger Fawn Nail

1 - 2 of 2 Posts