Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I could really use some advice on this, because it’s honestly stumping me.
My rat (male, approximately a year old) has been having problems with his legs.

In October, his front left paw was swollen and he wouldn’t put weight on it. We scheduled a vet appt. It started looking a bit better before the appointment, but we still went: vet X-rayed it and said it wasn’t a break but was pretty swollen, so he gave us antibiotics to give him in case it was an infection from some sort of a small cut/injury. He said to come back if it didn’t go away, but otherwise it’d be fine. It went away and was all good.

Just a couple weeks ago, his back left paw had a similar problem: swollen, wouldn’t put weight on it. We scheduled a vet appt., but cancelled it because the swelling went away and it got better on its own.

NOW, his back right leg is having the same problem: swollen, red, difficulty lifting it up to scratch himself and put weight on it, etc. It’s obviously painful for him. We will be re-scheduling a vet appt, but just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience and knows what’s up and how to stop it from continuing!

Pertinent info:

He lives in an All Living Things rat cage (similar to a CritterNation, but with a deeper bottom pan). We use paper bedding (Kaytee, Carefresh) in it.

Cage is wire, but shelves and bottom are plastic. He also has a solid plastic wheel and a fleece hammock (he sometimes chews it up and such, but we haven’t seen any threads wrapped around his legs or anything)

There is no visible cut/point of injury, just the whole leg being swollen.

He’s a bit of a klutz: he came to us as a stray and didn’t even know how to climb at all at first, so we’re guessing he was raised in an aquarium, so it’s possible he’s injuring himself being a clumsy climber (?)

SUMMARY:
Rat has swollen legs. Has happened three times with a DIFFERENT LEG each time. What is it and what can we do about it?

(images of the current swollen leg)
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
658 Posts
i think I saw your other post and I don't remember exactly everything contained in it. Have you tried having blood tests done?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We’re taking him in for further testing on Monday, which I’m guessing will include blood testing. (We actually think he may have lymes disease, which they may test for via blood test)

Is there anything special we should know prior to blood testing? We’ve never had it done before

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've never had blood tests done on any of my pets before so idk.
Hopefully someone with experience sees this post 🙂

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: We took Frannie to the vet today and received antibiotics. We are waiting on tests to figure out if the issue is caused by mycoplasma (which can, apparently, cause joint swelling), or by lymes and/or some other tick-borne disease (which can also cause joint swelling). I will be posting further updates via this thread for anyone interested!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts