Rat Forum banner

Report to Mods button/link?

6K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  rattusnorvegicus 
#1 ·
Are there any plans to make it easy to report a post to the mods? A button in each post, or a link?

I've been emailing a mod (though I never know who to pick!) if something concerns me, but I miss a feature many forums have where you report a post and any mod can handle it as soon as they see it.

#4 ·
I don't think it would be abused. I made a similar request here:

http://www.ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3955.html

The reason why I don't think it'd be abused is that it'd be up to the mods to simply check the post out. If they knew it was someone who would abuse the link often then they could just ignore that one. But with a forum of around 25-50 posters I don't think it'd ever be a big deal.

#6 ·
Bummer, cjshrader, I even looked to see if it'd been brought up before. *redfaced*

I agree, if one were to abuse it (and I doubt it), it wouldn't be much more than checking the post. If someone decides to report posts for no reason over and over, then they get it taken away. I think it would do much more positive than negative.

#10 ·
yes, i remember this request. and i really like the idea myself. i think he only reason we don't have one is that this board doesn't support that feature, or at least ratman couldn't figure it out or something.

#12 ·
twitch said:
yes, i remember this request. and i really like the idea myself. i think he only reason we don't have one is that this board doesn't support that feature, or at least ratman couldn't figure it out or something.
He might need to upgrade the phpbb on here, but that also makes things run smoother anyways. I can find that link again if you need it?

#13 ·
lilspaz68 said:
twitch said:
He might need to upgrade the phpbb on here, but that also makes things run smoother anyways. I can find that link again if you need it?
definetely

#16 ·
cjshrader said:
He is not using PHP BB but actually something called Dragonfly CMS, which I believe is based on PHP BB. Meaning something in PHP BB won't necessarily be in Dragonfly CMS.
Ahh too bad :(

Hmmm...pretty ghetto but have you thought of creating a member called Mod and all the Mods themselves could sign in and check for PM's? then the members will only have to PM "Mod" and get one of you more quickly?

#18 ·
DragonCMS isn't taht fun to try and figure out. I'm currently in the process of trying to figure out how to force it to work, Then I'll be posting the method off to ratman for help.

*I already have the DragonCMS set up on my own personal web server for testing*.

#19 ·
Yeah... I've been involved in web design since '97 (freelance and working for companies), and though I can handle any PHP/CGI based CMS, and can write my own PHP scripts, including a CMS or blog CMS, I have always disliked any nuke-based "portal" systems. Totally not my thing.

I did some searching and found that it's been a requested feature in Dragonfly since (at least) *2004*, but I guess the support isn't all too good, as it's never apparently happened, and the user base hasn't come up with a mod.

#20 ·
Same here. Yet I've been a freelance web designer since I was 13 (I'm 19 now. And I've had 6 straight years of practice and design experience. I can count of CSS and HTML in real life. [Everything I've ever done is hand made. none of those fancy Publisher programs that some people enjoy] ) In any case though. I'm still picking up a lot of PHP and cgi as I go (I'm a quick learner. Just work is getting int he way again.)

Anyway though. there was a phpBB report button released not too long ago. And isntal went kinda smoothly *it didn't want to work with my previous version of phpBB, yet I'm too lazy to add I need version. or bother updating.*

So, in assumption the button has been built, it needs to be re-added though and built over again with new references to it.

So, in theory. it should work, so long as everything is within reference of the original script.

#21 ·
alright, well until we can get the button, everyone can pm username modreport. all the mods share teh password so we can all see any pms sent there.

#23 ·
as soon as we can verify that its working i will. reach was having problems logging into it. i think it may have been because i forgot to activate the account though...:oops:

#25 ·
lilspaz68 said:
twitch said:
as soon as we can verify that its working i will. reach was having problems logging into it. i think it may have been because i forgot to activate the account though...:oops:
Heehee, isn't being a Mod fun? :lol:
Just a blast. Especially when dealing with trolls :roll:.

Still not able to log in, by the way ;).

#26 ·
Thats ok, we had the trolls one night, and then last night we had one of my rescue friends go absolutely ballistic on the forum about someone posting their new pet snake in Other Animals. It got NASTY and I think I lost a friend, but you cannot look the other way when you are protecting Your forum members. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.