Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm allowed to get some new ratties as my Zora is being put to sleep on Monday. I am trying to decide whether it would be better to adopt 3 rats from someone who no longer has time for them or get babies. I like babies better because they can bond with you and learn tricks but the other ones will die quicker but they are already trained and even use a corner toilet. I really want to help this lady out though and rescue them or they will go to the shelter and They are really cute. I don't know what to doooo

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would say rescue the three. Baby rats always find homes but some adult rats end up spending the remainder of their life in shelters where the staff don't have enough time to get them out of their cage to interact with them. And you will be able to bond with them, i took in an adult male rat who'd not been handled and we have a very strong bond.

·
Registered
863 Posts
My rescue ratties were the best in the world. They bonded with me incredibly fast. I vote for saving these.

And I'm sorry to hear about Zora :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the helpful input but it's all coming down to my mom, I think she only wants me to get one new rat and the owner doesn't want to separate them. I'm going to keep trying to convince my mom that I can keep perfect care of them

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
There are great arguments that can be made for rescuing older rats, and I won't argue against them...

But it always comes down to adopting the right rats for you. If you meet the three older rats and they are friendly and mesh with your personality and you feel you can really bond with them, then they may be very good rats for you. But if you don't feel the connection or you find behavioral or health problems that would make it harder for you to adopt and bond with these rats, they simply aren't a good fit for you, regardless of your good intentions.

Adopting the wrong rats is no blessing for either you or the rats. I've seen pity adoptions go terribly wrong. I know it is sometimes hard to walk away from a rat that needs help, but in the end there are thousands of rats fed to snakes every day and countless more sitting in pet shops or rat mills or bad homes dying by degrees. The whole world is full of rats that need good homes. You can only save a couple or perhaps a few, choose wisely. Pick the best rats for you and give them the best home you can... that's the very best you can do.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am currently looking for new rats but I can't seem to find the right ones. My mom won't drive me anywhere that's far so I can't go to any breeders. I checked at the local pet store (I know it's bad but I was just looking) and they didn't have any coloured ones, they were all white. The ONLY option right now is the 3 rescues but why don't I feel as excited as I should be? It's almost as if I'm disappointed I'm probably getting adult rats. I REALLY LIKE BABIES. I could wait around for more babies to pop up on kijiji (canadian buy sell trade site) or I could get the adults I just don't know what to do!!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Try and meet the adults. If you hit it off, and you want them your problem is solved... If you don't, it wasn't an option in the first place. I certainly do understand your desire for babies though, we like to adopt rats as young as possible too. They are fun to raise and you have more time with them. Still, if you really like the adult rats you will have a great experience with them too.

Albino rats with pink eyes often have poor eyesight, as we train shoulder rats, they aren't an option for us. But if you keep your rats indoors and out of bright light, they can make perfectly wonderful pets and friends.

Best luck.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Have you tried looking on facebook for a local rat group? We have 2 local groups for the state of Georgia in the US and there is also a generic "rat breeder" group that has people from all over. Someone there might have rats in your area and you just don't know about it. I hooked up with a breeder from 2 states away that happened to be going to a reptile show I was going to, so we could meet up for me to get my new rats.

I agree that you can give the adults a shot.. See just how friendly they are and if you do hit it off with them, then that will be great, if not, you might have other options. Do you have a petco in your town? Some don't know this, but you can call them and ask if someone has dropped off rats there. That's how I got my first group of 4 babies, someone had dumped a pregnant female there and they had the pups for adoption.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts