Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having problems with a rescue rat and her litter. The babies are 4 days old and I notice that she isn't really feeding them. She prefers spending her time grooming herself, laying around, eating, but doesn't really go near her babies that often. I checked when they were first born and they had milk bands, but now when I check NONE of them have a milk band. It's stressing me out because they babies are so small. I have been feeding her eggs, chicken, nuts, seeds, fruits and veggies to help her with her milk production since she had 15 little ones. I'm worried since this is my first litter. Is there a way to make her more interested in her babies?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Reduce the cage size/tank size.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have her in a bin type cage, I think it's 66 liters or something like that. How much smaller would you suggest?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Some people choose a 20-gal size bin to promote nursing, then upgrade back to a big one when the kits are older.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
At 4 days it could be that their skin has thickened enough so that it's no longer transparent which means you won't see milk bands anymore. Downsize as nanashi said and see what happens. Watch your babies closely for weight loss and you might even want to mark one and weigh it on a kitchen scale daily. You should only see gain, no loss. If you haven't already, you might want to prepare yourself with infant soy formula to hand feed (if you have time to even attempt that). I think the fact that she's doesn't look stressed is a good sign and she may just be feeding them and you don't catch her at it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will take your suggestions. I will be buying a smaller bin tomorrow and will begin weighing one. I did buy some infant forumla and visited the vet for some small syringes just in case. I hand fed my first rat so I am completely prepared to do that, but she was 2 weeks old when I rescued her. 4-5 days old is a whole different ball game. Is it possible to keep them alive by syringe feeding them when they are so small?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Possible, just difficult. I think that people have had luck with small paint brushes for feeding ones that young.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts