Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I havent been on as we've been very busy with school & work. But anywho, we got this fellow off of Craigslist simply because the mother of 3 young girls (all under 5) was tired of taking care of him. She said she got him for them bc they promised to take care of him 8O. So.. she was asking an adoption fee of $25 for his 'cage' (a 10gal aquarium), run-about ball and his 'bedding'.. the cedar shavings. So, I had my roommate go pick him up since I had to work and she took our pet carrier and put him in it for the ride home.
Now to the problem.. he doesnt seem to have any nose discharge or congestion, but he does have red ("maroon tears") coming from his eyes, one more so than the other. We have an appointment next for our Hedgehog "Miss Prickly" and was wondering what yalls opinion was and if you think we should take him along for the visit.

I will try to take some pictures later and post them. He is a white, blue hooded dumbo rex boy. I'm guessing they got him from a petstore but I dont know. He is a very sweet fella and takes treats so gently you dont even know he has a hold of it!

·
Registered
221 Posts
The red stuff coming from his eyes is called porphyrin. It's contained in their tears, mucous (nose snot), and saliva. I would recommend taking him for a check up just to make sure that nothing is wrong. There may be some mild eye infection and there could be complications from the shavings - but from what you described it doesn't seem like an emergency. He's not wheezing and I'm assuming he's still eating and drinking. I'm also assuming that you are putting him in something other than a fish tank and that he will have a friend or 5 :p Love to see some pics. I adore blue markings especially when combined with dumbo!

·
Registered
465 Posts
He's probably got some issues do to the idiotic lack of ventilation from the aquarium. A vet check up will do just fine. Sounds like he'll have a great home! Look into gettin' him a couple buddies. :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We definitely don't have him in an aquarium any longer. He's in a multi level wire cage and we're using carefresh bedding. It seems to work the best for all of the ones we've had (other than shredded newspaper which we also use).

We've thought about getting him a friend, as we also have another male dumbo rat, but when we tried to put him with a past male rat we had major problems. One ALWAYS attacked the other, even after having them in seperate neighboring cages for 2-3 weeks and giving them out time together under our supervision. We always pulled one off of the other (they usually alternated turns).

There aren't any breeders around here, and every pet store is battling chronic upper respiratory infections. We've made it a habbit to go in every now and then and each time have to point out several rats that need to be isolated because they have such a hard time breathing, discharge, and some are even to the head lunging stage. It makes me so mad that they can't take the time to realize these babies are sick! The only responses we get is "ok I'll do it" with a put out tone and, "oh we're inspecting our vender because they keep sending us sick rats."

So anywho, I will smuggle him in to see our vet at our next appointment. We talked to her the day after we got him and she didn't seem too concerned and said to bring him in if he had any discharge, trouble breathing, etc. or if we felt like there was something wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts