Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to petCo to get a rat for my roommate's snake and ended up with this darling sweet girl as a pet. She made immediate prolonged eye contact and was so gentle and calm. I've had her less than 16 hours and she's already licking my face and grooming on my shoulder. She's watching me type right now. I've had rats before but not ones like this. What should I know?

PS; her name is Nashville

Thanks guysssss

Attachments

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nashville is lovely.

You should really get her a friend. Rats do the best in groups of 2 or more. Solo rats tend to get depressed. There is just no way for you to spend enough time with her.

If you have any specific questions I am sure someone can help answer them!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will definitely get her a buddy. It was such an impulsive decision that I have her set up in an old hamster cage for the next day or two (I'm still moving into my new house, so I've got to see what I can fit in here once I've unpacked and put my bed in. I'm looking into a MUCH larger setup. Plus if I can hear her moving around I'll go over and take her out and let her sit on my shoulder or wander around my room. She's already coming back when I talk to her. :two_hearts: I'm seriously thinking of taking her to hair school with me every day until she has her buddy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would it be better to have two small rats in a too small enclosure or better to wait 'till I have her all set up in a cushy rat condo and then get her some friends?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Somebody else might have more experience and better advice, but I think I'd recommend waiting until you have a large setup to get her buddies. I had to keep three little girls in a hamster cage during my last quarantine and while I waited for my Double Critter Nation to arrive, and even being so tiny the seemed cramped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that's probably wise. I only have her in there when she's either asleep or overstimulated. Otherwise she's on my shoulder (like now) :two_hearts:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Would it be better to have two small rats in a too small enclosure or better to wait 'till I have her all set up in a cushy rat condo and then get her some friends?
If she already had a buddy it might be a different matter but since this will be a first introduction and you have no way of knowing how she'll react to a friend I wouldnt do it now. The added stress of a new rat and a small living space might be too stressful.

If it were me I'd wait for the new setup. It might even help them bond if they get introduced and the new cage is new for both of them. Highly recommend taking a look at the introductions threads if you've never done that before.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Having the new cage be new for everyone is so awesome! I had my two older girls in their large bird cage, and the three new girls in the hamster cage, and after introductions went well they all went into the DCN together, it was adorable watching them explore together.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Haha you sound exactly like me! Cindy was orginally snake food for my sisters snake and I just had to keep her. (I had had pet rats before). Such a rash and crazy decision, she ended up in a small old gerbil cage for a while till I got her a new cage and a play mate.

Anyway welcome to the forum! It's a great place with lots of great people! Also good luck with Nashville such a cutie and I love her name.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow!! Thank you guys so much! I'm so glad I found this place, and that I trusted my gut and got her home safely. She made friends with momo the German Shep today and he is in love with her. I'll try to get a picture of him waving at her :heart_eyes: I can't believe my poor Zipper stayed in his cage when I was a kid. I feel like my parents were pretty closed-minded about rodents in general. Even though my dad had a pet squirrel that terrorised his whole apartment building :grin: at least zip had a buddy, but still :cry:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts