Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i was online this morning on craigslist and a lady in my area posted a female dumbo rat that she wanted to rehome or she was going to take it to the local pet store>.< so i emailed her about the rattie and we set up a time to meet. When i got there, the poor girl was in a tiny hampster cage with GERBAL food! i wanted to cry. so i took her home with me, how couldnt i with her sweet face

she is on my desk right now eating a cracker. I cant beleive how social she is concitering she hasnt been held in almost 4-5months. she turned 1yr old 4/03/07 - she is in quarenteen right now, spending lots of time with mom.

Only ptoblem is, the lady went to petco to get her a friend, asked the clerk for a female rat, when she got home and put the rat into the cage with willow, it wasnt untell 3 days later she relized it was a boy!! >.< so, its a possability we may have babies. -sigh- poor willow. Im not sure what happened to the boy rat, she just said it was gone.

On a good note, I ordered my FN from petsmart last saterday, so it should be here soon. So, i decided i wanted to get some decorations for it -new ones- i found some cool hanging baskets and little tiny baskets for my little babies i have right now. also got some awesome new fabric to make hamicks. also got some very cute strawberry shortcake bowls for feeding there fruits and veggies in! i also bought this REALLY cute wooden doll house thing that im going to make into shelf beds for in the FN.

On another note: Tomorrow i am going to be picking up 3 females from a lady about 2hrs away who cant keep them anymore. she got them about 2 months ago from a lady who was moving to florida and couldnt take them. they have been living in pine >.< with very little contact and are all about 1yr olds. so, wish me luck for tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
awww she is soooo cute!!! how could anyone not love her...

·
Registered
814 Posts
good luck!!! she is a cutie!!! your a great person for helping all these little ones. Are you keeping all of them?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am deff keeping Willow, I gues si will find out tomorrow about the other 3 girls. But im more then sure i will. anything i take in my house normaly does not leave! ;0

·
Registered
30 Posts
She is a cutie that's for sure :) Just make sure you quarantine, I wish I had a bunch of little quarantine buildings in my yard *sigh*. A girl can dream though LOL.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If I wanted to quarantine a new rat.. could I put the rat in an upstairs room with the door shut as my others are in my downstairs living room area. :?:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
She's a cutie pie! :) So glad you rescued her... I hope she's not pregnant, though!

Ratvocate:

In-home quarantine which shares the same airspace isn't recommended.

http://ratguide.com/health/basics/quarantine.php
(Scroll down a bit to "Methods of Quarantine")

Some say it's better then nothing, some say it's not worth doing at all. It's up to you, really, as long as you realize that air-born illness and disease can still be passed around.

·
Registered
321 Posts
She's -GORGEOUS-, what a sweet face. It's such a sad thing when people don't do enough research before getting a pet. No matter what it is!
I've been doing research on rats for like 4 months now. Hopefully I'll be getting some handsome boys next month =).
They thankfully seem well taken care of, have a huge cage and have been handled kindly since babies =).
I'm excited!
Good luck with your new rattie =)

·
Registered
489 Posts
its sad how people treat them like nothin. they really need as much attention as a dog.

willow is cute. poor girl will be happy to have frineds. and why did the lady get more rats?

·
Registered
194 Posts
crazyrattiemommie: you are so great to take in the strays! i now have 6 ratties cos i can't say no to them! little willow is so gorgeous! it's awful how some people treat animals like dirt, thank goodness there are people like you in the world to make a difference! :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
You may also want to dose them with revolution just in case. I brought home some rescues and they had lice D: I wish I would of asked the girl to dose them for me now and told her I would pay to insure no lice were in my house. I dosed everyone just in case, even though I'm trying my best to QT in a small apartment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts