Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to save this old lady rat from Craigslist. She is 3 years old and has lots of abdominal tumors. She is in poor condition and I just wanted her to have someplace warm and safe to live out her last little bit of life.

The cage she and her sisters were in (her sisters died so she was alone which is why she was re-homed) had a metal grated bottom. This poor girl is missing part of her tail, missing some toes, and is walking on clubbed feet which I suspect is from years of walking on that. Granted there were towels laid on top of the grate, I think it still hurt her.

She is practically paralyzed. I feel so bad for her. She's safe and warm now and on a super soft surface now. Nothing short of pillows for her from now on.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
that is heartbreaking :( What is wrong with people??

Atleast she will have a spoiled loving home and know real love before she goes

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to mention the woman works as a vet tech. Certainly should know better!

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I'm happy you decided to revue her. How's her fur, check for mites. How is her stool? Yes as a vet tech she should have known better, that's why I'm asking for parasites as she might not gave treated that either, and with the awful conditions she was kept in...plus s vet tech could easily bring some parasites home too.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm happy you decided to revue her. How's her fur, check for mites. How is her stool? Yes as a vet tech she should have known better, that's why I'm asking for parasites as she might not gave treated that either, and with the awful conditions she was kept in...plus s vet tech could easily bring some parasites home too.
Her fur is okay. I didn't see any lice or scabs. She isn't itchy. I always have kitten Revolution on hand if I need to give everyone a treatment. I haven't seen stool yet fresh from her bum but there was some recent ones in the cage when I got her and they looked normal.

Also, Gribouilli your inbox is full.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
..sigh... I think she has a pituitary tumor... unless her feet are just that messed up.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear. Did you diagnose it yourself? :( Well you're giving her love and attention and maybe that's all she wanted in the end.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear. Did you diagnose it yourself? :( Well you're giving her love and attention and maybe that's all she wanted in the end.
Well I'm no vet but I've sadly seen enough of them. The problem is, I've never had a rat that has lived 3 years on a wire bottom cage and she has obvious damage to her feet so I don't know how much of this is caused by the feet and how much is pituitary.

She isn't holding her food. She is eating Oxbow but not holding it. She is just... grazing on it? I guess is the best way to put it. She is eagerly drinking Ensure but won't take water.

Her hind legs are completely destroyed. They just sort of do their own thing. She sort of belly crawls when she does move... but she rarely moves. She does NOT do the head bump thing... but none of my pituitary rats have.

Her arms are sort of weak. She isn't really holding them forwards a lot but does sometimes. Usually one at a time. Not so much both at once. She sometimes clenches her fists but all my rats tend to do that when they are relaxed.

Maybe I am being paranoid but I'm pretty sure I am seeing signs. I've been watching her all day.

I just wish I knew how much of this is due to her age and feet.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just watched her again. She isn't wobbly... she just can't really use her legs. She does prop herself up on her front legs to drink Ensure but her front legs are practically jelly when she tries to walk. She pulls herself around but not in that "drunk" way that they tend to do when they have pituitary.

When she grooms her face, she lays flat on the ground and grooms. No strength to pick herself up.

...but she is between 3 and 4 so maybe that is normal? Granny was 4+ and was sort of that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts