Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive recently got 2 lab rats from a laboratory, i don't know what was tested on them but i assume it hurt. There really frightened of me still, its been about 1 month. Ive tried immersion, but they still won't take treats from me and scream bloody murder when i touch them....i really want them to love me, but i don't know is that possible?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
There's no reason to assume anyone hurt them for whatever purpose. You have to consider where you got them from. Scientists, while loving and respecting the rats they work with, can't build the same type of relationship with their rats. Not only are there time constraints, but there are also experimental controls that have to be kept up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Just the thought of being tested on and what they must have gone through breaks my heart into a million pieces. But then we have people like you, that took them on, into a loving home😊 I read that you have tried immersion training with them. I personally think that there is no 'time limit' on immersion and every situation has its differences. Patience and love will soon bring those precious ones to realise you are not there to hurt them. Allot of bonding time with them is needed. But guaranteed they are much happier with you!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the reason i think they where hurt was the fact that there ears have holes in them from tags, one will attack anyone or thing if too close to the front legs. They are sweet babies and really need love, they are so amazing but skittish.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
ear tags are typically done under anesthesia with topical anesthetic as well so i can guarantee that has nothing to do with their behavior. Think about if you lived in a small house with maybe 2 really close friends for most of your life and minimal human interaction and then suddenly you're in this totally different place where this person(s) wants to interact with you every moment that you're awake. It would be quite confusing and startling I'd think which could lead to the behavior you're seeing. All of these things take time and patience and a lot of consideration of what situation the animals have come from. How do they interact with your other rats? (making the assumption that there are others from your signature)

·
Registered
218 Posts
More likely they were just hardly ever handled including during their socilization period. The number of lab rats that undergo painful procedures without full anesthesia is very low. And if you mean their ears have notched at the edges that is an old method for indentification where you read where the notches are according to a uimber code. Tags are not used with rats as far as I know.

Notching suggests a biomedical facility where handling may be aseptic (sterilised tongs) so they may naver have been moved around by hand. Normally adopted lab rats come with medical records and some history--it really help to know what they need habituating to. They came from a very under-stimulating place and need to be phased into the exciting world of being a pet or they will react with fear due to being very neophobic on release. A bit like when I took on my ex-racing greyhound.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
It'll be possible. They can't have been used for anything but psychological experiments as med rats are dissected at the end. Just keep being patient and immersing them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Biomed rats can be retired and adopted. It depends on what studies they were in. A lot of biomed research is not terminal.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You sorta need to force yourself on them. You just have to keep petting them and picking them up even if they struggle. Be gentle but don't relent and put them back just because they're scared. They will eventually get use to it and calm down. If you can spare the time try taking them into the tub for 20-30 minutes and let them crawl on you while you talk to them and pet them as much as possible. Mostly though it's just about spending as much time as you can with them so they can realize you're not scary. Some are faster then others. We've had Tempy for 3 months now and he's only recently started to warm up to us, and even then he's super cautious and will usually run away when he's not in the mood to be handled.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts