Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My four month old resident rat's cagemate was pts this week and shown the body to understand that her cagemate wasn't coming back. She lived with her for three months and is now alone.

I purchased a 7.5 week old rat today and placed her in a cage beside my lone resident rat. My resident rat is making protest squeaks and doing those little jumps while punching through her cage bars to get at the new baby to let her know she is the big bad wolf and to stay away.

If anyone has experience with this, how long did your big bad wolf want to box the new rat for while being in separate housing? Did they end up being friends after neutral introductions? I'd prefer not to end up with two lone rats because it's not fair to the new rat baby.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My rats never did that through the bars but my two older rats were aggressive to my two new babies. 3 more power groomed later and they couldn't care less about each other and will sleep next to each other. So there still is hope. Remember no blood no foul even if they are squeaking like mad.

·
Registered
995 Posts
One of my previous rats was really huffy towards newbies when they were in cages next to each other. As soon as they were in the bathtub and resident rat had a chance to thoroughly inspect newbie, they were fine. Had them in a carrier while I deep cleaned the cage, rearranged and all, and they were fine once in the
"new" territory together.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
One of my previous rats was really huffy towards newbies when they were in cages next to each other. As soon as they were in the bathtub and resident rat had a chance to thoroughly inspect newbie, they were fine. Had them in a carrier while I deep cleaned the cage, rearranged and all, and they were fine once in the
"new" territory together.
The success of intros are really dependent on the resident rat's personality. At the moment I have my resident rat and the new baby down my shirt. Each is laying quietly apart. The resident rat was doing what looked like CPR on the baby rat's stomach yesterday. Although she wasn't biting the baby rat, this pressing down on the vital organs didn't look good. I do not know what this behaviour is called, but it wasn't loving or gentle like power grooming. Of course I stopped it.

In the past I've done two other intros with younger rats being introduced to older ones and the older rat in both cases accepted the younger. I realize each situation and rat is different and can only hope for the best.

As of the past ten minutes the baby rat has worked her way over to my resident rat and is resting beside her fur-to-fur. It seems baby rats are persistent in getting the older rat to accept them even though sometimes it can be fatal. Afterall, they need love and companionship. Although my two rats are resting beside one another, it doesn't mean the resident rat isn't going to turn into a spaz later on when they are together again.
:mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts