Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sprinkles was having a hard time breathing yesterday morning, so I took her to the emergency room when I got home from work. I thought for sure that I would have to put her to sleep-Becky died within 2 days of the same thing, there was nothing they could do for her-BUT Sprinkles is at home with me! They put her in an oxygen tank with butorphanol, which slightly improved her breathing. She had x-rays and the vet didn't think she saw a lung tumor, but maybe liquid. It was hard to tell. She received 2 albuterol nebulizer treatments, which improved her breath rate and effort greatly, but she still has harsh lung sounds. So we are not out of the woods yet. She received and injection of sustained release doxycycline and will receive another in 7 days. At home, I have her on Baytril (antibiotic), Theophylline (not sure-a steroid maybe), and Prednisone. I put the shower on high and put her tank in the bathroom for about 15 minutes this morning, and I bought a warm mist humidifier and had her in the bathroom with that for over an hour. It's not as steamy as a shower, but I can run it for longer that I can the shower. She has improved slightly as far as she's eating and her energy level has leveled off-basically she's not gotten any worse. We are hoping this is pnuemonia and the medicine will help.
I'm looking for tips/stories from people who have dealt with an issue like this. I am not getting my hopes up too high, but I want her to live! What else has anyone heard of that I can do for her to help her heal?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Along with the usual Medical stuff I have had good results with 2 products.
Lung Caps by Soloray about $8, Contains Raw Lung Tissue+ homeopathics+herbals, open a cap and give about a good pinch in oatmeal or like. Clear Lungs is more a Chinese formula also good for Resp. problems. Same dosage.
I use both, one month on , then switch. The Lung Caps seems a tad better as it repairs and rebuilds scarred lungs, its made from a clean, free range herd in argentina so you don't have to worry about mad-rat disease.
Also check into a product called Seacure for pets, I just ordered it and can't comment but it was developed during WW2 by govt. of Paraguay as a way to feed undernourished children, its a probiotic made from cultured whitefish, its supposed to bring back dying animals who won't eat, or weak animals, it has super good reviews, they primarily make a formula for people.
It takes time to really get a handle on serious Resp. issues so you're looking at months of treatment, but you should see improvment soon.
Good luck, I know what you're going through.
Spider

·
Registered
730 Posts
What I've been doing with great success is making baby pablum and mixing it with strawberry Boost. It seems to really perk them up, and they love the way it tastes.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Odin has nasty lungs and the vet prescribed nebulisation for life. We have purchased a nebuliser which SHOULD arive any day now *crosses fingers* and are putting 1cc of Baytril in there with some saline solution 3x per week. Just the short nebulisations at the vet get him feeling so much better. Odin has chronic respitory illness according to the x-rays so will need this for life. You may want to start asking your vet if you need to buy an at home nebuliser. They are very inexpensive on e-bay, I got mine for $30 with shipping and you hook it up to a tank, put the medicine in and youa re good to go.

Much less expensive than $25/treatment at a vet. Instead of $300/month I'm paying $50/month for the medicine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sprinkles seems to be doing better.Her breathing is almost normal sounding; she doesn't have a "panting" sound anymore. She doesn't take the medicine very well, haha! I got a warm air vaporizer and I've been using that almost constantly and I think it helps. I truly, truly thought this would be the end, so I am finally having hope! I am going to try everyone's ideas. The new girls I got had a cagemate that died from a respiratory something (most likely a tumor/cancer), so ia nebulizer sounds like a good investment. Thanks!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poppyseed, did the nebulizer come? I'm thinking about getting the same model and I'm wondering how it's working for you and Odin. I have been using a vaporizer with Sprinkles every night and that's been helping, so I think a nebulizer will help even more.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah, I'm also curious what you think of the nebulizer. Poor Curly's got such bad breathing at his young age that I'm sure he'll be needing nebulization sooner or later.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has been 6 days since I took Sprinkles to the vet, and tonight I noticed that Miffy's breathing seems heavier than usual. I decided to give her Baytril and the steroid I got from the vet, so she'll be on two of the three medicines Sprinkles is on. Do you think this will be enough, if it's early enough?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Your going to need to give them both a full treatment of antibiotics. If you don't do a full treatment, you run the risk of having them develop an immunity to that particular drug. You should just call your vet and ask for more, you could even say you spilled some or something if you think they're going to be stingy about it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha that's what I was planning on doing! I am going to give both her tankmates/daughters Baytril and steroids. I just want to make sure that's the normal course of action. I will take them both to the vet if I need to, but if I have the right stuff at home I would rather not.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
It didn't come yet D: It's been TWO WEEKS since I ordered it, TWO WEEKS. One week ago they claimed they were waiting for paypal to clear. It's been out of my account forever and still not even an e-mail saying it's been shipped.

I'm contacting them again today. I think they were feeding me a bunch of bull D:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Also in the ratguide it suggested a nebuliser that nebulised to .5 or .05 size... can't remember exactly but you might want to look it up. I think a pediatric one would be best for a pet.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sorry that your nebulizer hasn't come yet. Hang in there! You too, Odin!

D

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
dkirschling, why are you giving the steroids? Prednisone I presume?
Steroids are heavy duty stuff that you need to give very very carefully and then wean them off just as carefully. Pred reduces the inflammation in the lungs but its the abs that actually cure the problem, or at least tamp down the myco flareup.
Steroids are for severe respiratory not mild attacks. It could be more dangerous than do good to Miffy.
I also will assume Sprinkles was really sick with a respiratory infection?
What was the 3rd med anyways?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sprinkles was really sick, I thought I was going to have to put her to sleep. She is on Baytril, prednisone, and theophyllne. Last night I started giving both her tankmates Baytril and prednisone, so now they've had two doses. What should I do?

D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems like she's starting to have heavy breathing. The vet wasn't sure if Sprinkles had a virus or pnuemonia or what-is it ok to give Miffy and Pimento the Baytril as a preventative? I also have a male in a t ank right next to them. Should I be concerned that he might start having problems? I can get enough Baytril to put everyone on a full course. I'm a little paranoid about everyone's health. Miffy and Pimento just look like maybe they are breathing faster, but it's already been 6 days since Sprinkles had to go to the vet, so I am not 100% sure that they are even getting sick. I just don't want to wait.

D

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
dkirschling said:
It seems like she's starting to have heavy breathing. The vet wasn't sure if Sprinkles had a virus or pnuemonia or what-is it ok to give Miffy and Pimento the Baytril as a preventative? I also have a male in a t ank right next to them. Should I be concerned that he might start having problems? I can get enough Baytril to put everyone on a full course. I'm a little paranoid about everyone's health. Miffy and Pimento just look like maybe they are breathing faster, but it's already been 6 days since Sprinkles had to go to the vet, so I am not 100% sure that they are even getting sick. I just don't want to wait.

D
If they were mine I would wait til I was a bit more sure. Pneumonia is usually not contagious. Overmedicating when its not necessary can lead to the meds not working as well as they should when you really do need them. You sound like you are pretty aware of your rats, and an illness like that can make you paranoid. I know. LOL

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. I took a step back and examined my paranoia. You are right. I am calming down. Sprinkles really responed to the pneumonia medicine, so I'm going to go with the feeling that she is/was not contagious. Thank you, I feel better already.

On a related note, Sprinkles had her 2nd (and last) doxycycline injection tonight, and the vet seemed pleased with her condition. I have to keep her separated for another week and continue medications as well. This has had a MUCH better anding than anticipated!

D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts