Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat Popcorn is 21 months old and has battled with respiratory illness for at least 4 months. He is currently on Azythromycin and Methylprednisolone. He had an episode of severe respiratory distress yesterday (laying on side, gasping, barely responsive). I called my vet and he said to give the Methylprednisolone any way I could. I took him in the bathroom with a hot shower going and let him breath steam as soon as I got him to lick up the Methylprednisolone, and he was finally able to breathe. His breathing hasn't been normal for a month.
I'm not able to get a nebulizer within the next 2 days because I have to order online. I have seen an epinephrine inhaler otc (Primatene mist) and I can't find any information about it being safe for rats in respiratory distress. I don't want to do anything to hurt him, has anyone used this or does anyone have any suggestions of anything else I can do to help him? It's awful watching him gasp for breath 馃槩

Registered
Hi and welcome to the forum.
If it was my rat, I would try the medical treatment to manage his symptoms and if that didn't work I would consider letting him go (having him put to sleep). Respiratory distress and gasping for air is a terrible thing, and I wouldn't want to see him suffer.
I wish you all the best and sorry you had to join the forum for such sad circumstances.

. 馃惌馃尯馃挆

1 - 3 of 3 Posts