Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little over a week ago Gustav started sneeze again. I increased his antihistamine dose to relieve his problem but it's only getting worse. Now breathing is a struggle, he doesn't even have the energy to fight about being nebulized. He's hoarding food, but he's not been eating very much.

He gets nebulized everyday
an dose of antihistamine
an air purifier runs 24/7
and I clean the cage twice a week

I'm just crying right now because my poor little baby is suffering and nothing seems to help. The past times he was on Batryl it only relieved the symptoms a little bit and the symptoms returned less than a month after stopping the dosage. Azthromitrecine (I think that's the name of it) also only relieved it for the time it was administered and that's when the vet had me start nebulizing him him. Still, now that it's back it's just getting worse. It's never been this bad before... I may just go to the emergency vet clinic to see if they can do anything for him because my vet clinic is closed until Tuesday.

Has anyone else every experienced this kind of severe chronic lung infection? Could it be something else that my vet is not seeing?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Neera seems to always be battling her lungs. Thankfully, she's just become a regular sneezer. After about two months of medication, she finally got to the point where she just sneezes more often than a normal rat. She never seems to get much worse, and she definitely doesn't get any better, no matter how much medicine I pump into her. She gone through doses of Baytril and been nebulized as well, yet she still won't stop sneezing...

Obviously, hers is not as bad as yours. Honestly, the first thing that comes to mind with your little one is that his last infection caused scarring in his lungs that's making everything worse. I'm no vet and I could be way off-base with that, but it makes sense to me for that to be the case...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am thinking you are right. After his second infection my vet informed that each infection increases that risk.
I was also reading that hooded rats can be more susceptible to mycoplasma than other rats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts