Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rat stanky has signs of a respiratory infection.

sneezing
the red stuff coming out his nose
this unusual squeaking noise he makes

im taking him to the vets soon but im worried if when i take him vets they say hes okay as last time i went they said he was okay but hes now showing more signs of a uri. what medication should i ask for and or tell them where to look at him to see if he truly does have a uri. and what other vets should i take him incase he gets worse to as i cant find any who are experienced in rats here in the uk (my mom is taking him to vets4pets bc she doesnt know anywhere else)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Did they listen to his chest with a stethoscope? Is he lively? The list you wrote can occur with a healthy rat.If he is sick he will be lethargic,coat puffy,sides heaving in and out quickly with noisy breathing.If you think he is ill ,the latest recommended treatment in the UK for treatment is Ronaxan 20 mg tablets ,crush each tablet in 1 ml of water and dose 0.1 to 0.3 according to your rats weight,twice a day.As a mixer they usually cant resist alpro chocolate dessert,or a creamy oaty baby food.Mix on a spoon with a liitle dollop of the mixer and the rat will lick it off the spoon.I hope your rat will be ok.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just checked him and im pretty sure his hairs are standing on the end, theyre like sticking out when i look at him from the side if thats what its supposed to look like

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,388 Posts
Puffy fur is noticeable, sticks straight out and they pull themselves into a ball. This is the Rat Grimace Scale; it is helpful to really know what it looks like when they aren't feeling well.

Photograph Vertebrate White Light Green

Reactions: SonicRat
1 - 10 of 10 Posts