Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two 10 week old girls in July. They've been kept together since, and I've just been waiting for them to get big enough so I can move them in with my 2+ year old female (they have playdates all the time and get along great).

Last night, the shier of the two (Draven) started wheezing. It woke me up. This morning, she was still doing it. They are kept on Yesterdays News and fed mazuri lab blocks. I tried to get her to eat a chocolate chip (i heard that those helped with URIs) but she wouldnt eat at all. she's sort of hunched over and her fur is sticking up, but it's usually like that (the fur). I put her in my bathroom with a bunch of towels for her to curl up in. Her eyes look fine, but when she peed on the bathroom floor, i noticed little tiny spots of blood as she walked away. I think they came from her nose because it looks a bit wet and red.

Right now, she is curled up in a blanket and breathing fine.

A friend of mine has a rat that previously had a URI, would I be able to just use the medications she was given by the vet?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
It possibly a uti (urinary tract infection). Dark chocolate is only good to open the airways during a respiratory attack.

Your girl sounds sick and needs a vet and meds.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If the blood was from her urethra, that's a symptom or UTI. If it's from her nose it isn't blood but porphyrin. I definitely recommend taking her in to the vet.

·
Registered
520 Posts
1st: I agree with LilSpaz and DarkSong, she needs to see a vet...

2nd: I just want to reiterate - Do not use Rx meds on your pets without vet supervision! I work at a vet hospital and we see people ALL THE TIME where the problem could've been simple, but through HOME TREATMENTS the pet has ended up critical.

The exception to this is when you have people (like a lot of people on this forum :D ) that have done so much research that they probably know more about rat health than their doctor. In that case, as I'm sure they'll tell you, they still work with their doctor, but it is more like a partnership.

Sorry for the long post. :oops:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts