Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Parsley (russian Blue dumbo) and peanut (siamese dumbo)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have 2 rats who are both almost 1. One of them, Peanut, was making noises a few months ago. We took him to the vet and they said its just noises to show his feelings, but i don't think that vet is very experienced with rats. but the noises got a little worse and we started hearing noises from his brother, Parsley, (not as noticeable but still there). We went to a new vet and they have a respiratory infection. (I feel stupid for believing for so long it was normal sounds, I'm not a rat expert.) We're going to start giving them medication, and I think it could help Parsley, but i heard something about tissue being damaged if you don't catch it early, so I'm worried about Peanut. It's supposed to get worse over time. He isn't lethargic and he eats and drinks regularly, but I have a feeling that someday we might need to put him down. I'm not sure if anyone knows, but how long does it take for RI's to get so bad that we will have to put him down? He's only a year old and I'm really worried.

·
Registered
Lilac, Comet, and Spark
541 Posts
If he's not lethargic, wheezing, and ignoring his food and water I think he should be fine- could you post a video of him doing something normal so we have a better idea of what he's like? Eating treats, playing during free roam, etc.
Most of the time URIs clear up nicely with antibiotics.

·
Registered
Parsley (russian Blue dumbo) and peanut (siamese dumbo)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ignore his unstable walking, he was born like that, so this is how he normally walks. (also, turn your volume up!)

·
Registered
Lilac, Comet, and Spark
541 Posts
I think it could clear up! :D You might just have to keep him on antibiotics for a while.

Reactions: 2 sweet rats

·
Registered
12 Posts
Get The Rat Health Guide by Debbie Ducoumum. It tells you how to teat all disorders. For now go to an exotic vet and they'll put him on Doxycycline and Enroflaxin for respiratory infection. They are antibiotics. Don't wait. The longer you wait the harder it is to clear up the infection . The Rat Health Guide also recommends Amoxicillen and tells you how to mix your own and the dosage. The Rat Health Guide saved the life of my pet rat. Don't wait

1 - 7 of 7 Posts