Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... So the other day I noticed Olaf was wheezing. As soon as I noticed it, I brought him into the bathroom and ran the shower on hot -- I let him and his brother play around on the counter for approx. 5-10 minutes. We then brought him to the Vet. Both rats have been occasionally sneezing here and there, but there hasn't been any wheezing until that morning! My Vet said the sneezing isn't normal at all and she wants to give Sven some antibiotics as well. However, we haven't gotten the antibiotics yet and Olaf is no longer wheezing and they hardly sneeze anymore. Should I put them on the antibiotics for 1 week, or tell my Vet it is no longer needed? Thoughts please!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would put them on antibiotics. My boy Justin had no sneezing, but was wheezing. He gave a big sneeze and the wheeze disappeared. I also did the shower thing. He was eating and playing. By the end of day two his wheeze was back and worse. Rats are good at hiding it when they sick, when they no longer playing and eating, then they really sick and the chances are higher of them not recovering. The sooner you start the antibiotics the better. Nip it in the butt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts