Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! :)

I am a new rat mom. I got my boys from a local humane society on December 31st. They had previously been left in a snowbank with other males/females. When I got them, they had been treated for mites/fleas/parasites but they said nothing about respiratory issues. When I took them home, I noticed they had been sneezing occasionally which I have attributed to new home sneezes. I had also had them in a playpen area for a few days (as my cage did not arrive when it was supposed to and I ended up picking them up slightly earlier than I had anticipated). I recently (about a week ago) put them in their new cage (mansion for just my two little ratties). Their sneezing seems to have gotten worse or stayed the same. Some Porphyrin has been around the youngest's nose (around 5 months) but my oldest (1 year and a month) does not have it but sneezes (just not as much as the little one). It looked like the younger one had trouble breathing earlier today, but since I put a humidifier in the room, he seems fine. I also moved anything even slightly scented near the cage. I did have them on a different laundry detergent - but the one they are currently on is unscented and free of dyes etc...I also rinse the fleece 2 times before drying. I have removed the kiln-dried aspen from their litter as I was worried that was causing problems. They have also had some dried oregano the other day which may or may not have irritated them, but I heard was ok to feed them?

Sorry for all of the questions, I've been a little paranoid but it's only been 11 days since I have had them and they have undergone quite a few changes in this time? Should I take them to the vet? Do you think it's just adjusting to the new cage/environment?

Should I not use fleece? What do you recommend for litter/bedding?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Is your house dusty? Have you recently dusted?
Pick them up and listen to their breathing, does it sound like there's fluid when they breath?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your house dusty? Have you recently dusted?
Pick them up and listen to their breathing, does it sound like there's fluid when they breath?
Hi there! Thanks for responding - My house can be dustier, I definitely keep up with the room they are in more than others. I cannot pick them up without them running/biting/getting scared because I don't think they were really handled much before I got them. When I listen to them without picking them up, I don't hear anything too strange. I have heard some weird noises but since I am a new owner, I assumed they were bruxing?

·
Registered
Willow, Comet, and Spark
244 Posts
Can you attach a video of them making the weird noises? Bruxing is just teeth grinding, you should be able to tell if it's bruxing.

Reactions: NewRatLover29
1 - 7 of 7 Posts