Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week and a half ago I rescued a new rat from owners that in my opinion weren't caring for him properly (living on sawdust, cage next to a tv, grabby toddler, when she got him his breathing was bad and she didnt take him to the vet for the whole 6 months of having him etc). Anyway, as soon as I picked him up I could hear how bad his breathing was, the vet had shut for the day so I got him an appointment the next day.He was given septrin, and I nebulise him up to three times a day with F10, but the antibiotic hasn't worked and the course has finished. I'm fairly familiar with rat respiratory infections as my other rat who I adopted suffers from them. At present I'm unable to take him to the vets, I was basically sold something that was not refundable and I didnt know it wasnt, which left me with money problems. I dont need to hear about how people who cant afford pets shouldnt have them because usually I CAN afford pet bills, my other rat is very well known at my vets surgery and has probably been to the vets around 15 times in the year I've had him (new pet owner paranoia about my ratty). So, what I want to know is where I can obtain something like doxy, moxi or any other good antibiotic online, bare in mind I live in the UK and can't really afford custom charges right now, tbh I can't even afford to buy anything without having to sell more of my belongings (which I've been doing) but I don't want my ratty to suffer because of that fact, I'm hoping that this way will work out slightly cheaper. I already know about the benefits of feeding dark chocolate to rats with respi problems.
All insight would be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have also just remembered that I have some kinds of human antibiotics in the house, I think erthromycin and possibly nitrofuruntoin (neither of those are the right spelling I doubt).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update!!!

I took him to the vets today and he had a steroid injection and is now on baytril, hes also still being nebulised daily 2-3 times with F10

1 - 3 of 3 Posts