Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just had a few questions about my two young rats. They are currently on baytril which was prescribed by my vet after their "new home sneezes" lasted over two weeks, and they sounded snuffly. They had also been doing a coughing type thing, but having done extensive research I'm pretty certain they were actually hiccups. (I've watched lots of videos and they only seem to do it after waking from a nap)

The vet said to treat them for 5 days minimum, but I've read online that they actually need a lot longer than that. It will have been two weeks on Thursday that they started the antibiotics. So my first question is, should I carry on medicating them? They still sneeze a little bit but their breathing is much better (they are clear when I rat phone them).

The other thing is that the only way I can get them to take the medicine is with baby food. I tried with countless other things but this is the only way I can do it and know that they've actually taken the full dose. I use just a simple veggie and chicken jar of baby food. However, as they have to take the medicine twice a day, they are ending up eating about two teaspoons of baby food every day. Is this ok to do for a number of weeks? They did have a cauliflower cheese one which they adored, but I figured that wouldn't be good to have regularly.

I've also noticed that the sneezing is worse when they are out of the cage and we are playing with them. They run around under the blankets and our clothes, could this just be because of dust/fibres in the fabrics?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, I adore my boys and really want them to get better :)

Thank you!

·
Registered
219 Posts
The vet said to treat them for 5 days minimum, but I've read online that they actually need a lot longer than that. It will have been two weeks on Thursday that they started the antibiotics. So my first question is, should I carry on medicating them? They still sneeze a little bit but their breathing is much better (they are clear when I rat phone them).
Yes, keep medicating them. Rats should be treated for 4-6 weeks, so try to at least hit 4 weeks or 30 days. 6 weeks is ideal.

The other thing is that the only way I can get them to take the medicine is with baby food. I tried with countless other things but this is the only way I can do it and know that they've actually taken the full dose. I use just a simple veggie and chicken jar of baby food. However, as they have to take the medicine twice a day, they are ending up eating about two teaspoons of baby food every day. Is this ok to do for a number of weeks? They did have a cauliflower cheese one which they adored, but I figured that wouldn't be good to have regularly.
The most important thing is that they get their medicine. So if that means some baby food, it's okay. Baby food really isn't the worst thing ha! You could try lessening their other treats for now though. AKA the baby food is their only treat until the meds are done. You could try a healthier baby food too, like peas.

I've also noticed that the sneezing is worse when they are out of the cage and we are playing with them. They run around under the blankets and our clothes, could this just be because of dust/fibres in the fabrics?
Yes it can. I wouldn't worry much about some sneezes when they are out. Rats breathe exclusively through their noses (unless they are very ill) so stuff is gonna get in there and cause a sneeze when they aren't in the cage. (Because ideally there are less smells, etc in the cage).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts