Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the signs of a respitory infection is some time of fluid coming for the nose? This fluid obviously can be whiped off correct?

What other things can I watch out for?

Just want to be on the know so I am prepared in case an infection develops.

Cheddars and Provolone today have started living together. All day they have been in the cage that I cleaned out nicely... They seem to be fine. should I have to worry any more? They are eating together, what seems like playing, and sleeping together.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The fluid will be red and may be crusty on the nose/eyes, what you're looking for is an excessive amount. Labored/strained breathing, odd breathing noises, lethargy, poofed fur, disinterest in food/drink...

Generally, if you think they're ill, by all means, take them to a vet. :)

Check them over in the morning, make sure there were no fights overnight.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Yeah It can be wiped off. Just keep an eye out like Forensic said. Even though that quarantine was broken, doesnt mean it will be safe to keep them together so soon. I would deff keep an eye out for any fights. Stress alone can kill a young rat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only "fighting" as been just keeping who's who in line. Cheddar appears to be the dominate male as, obviously, hes about twice provolones size and that it doesnt appear that provvy has in interests in achieving dominancy as he follows Cheddars around. I have been keeping close eye on them all day. Been over 12 hours now. Like i said they were sleeping together earlier and provolone was cleaning cheddars here and there. so... I'll just observe for now. Instead of bedding, i put a fleece rug in for them! they seem to like it. I use the bedding now for their potty bowl.

They aren't showing any signs. Watching for any odd fluid around the eyes or nose. They are eating fine. The only thing is they sneeze not as much as they used to... just new house smells im assuming. Other than that nothing odd to report.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Just keep and eye out okay...Yes it may seem like the norm whos boss role, but it can lead into something alot more serious. I have had rats for over 6 years and I know from experiance what "play" fighting is and what real fighting is, esspecially with male rats. My first experiance with rats and introducing them very soon like this, started out very much the same as your has been going now...all seemed fine, but one day the oldest biggest rat Beavis almost killed Butthead, the smaller baby rat. Just goes to show how much you actually dont know untill you do have those years experiance on your side. Its pretty hard on a new baby rat to not only get used to its surrounding but also be bullied and shown whos boss by a much bigger cagemate.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Well introduction was suppose to be a good 2-3 week thing, which gives them time to get used to each other and for them to get used to each other in ones terrirory. All I can say, since you already have them together is just watch for fighting, even when it looks like play fighting, keep a good eye out. You should know by now what a "hey I give in" squeak is and a "OUCH!" squeak is. If It looks like Chedders is being way to agressive I would suggest separating them and doing the intros the correct way. And always, if you see blood...Thats it, they need to be separated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No blood has been spent. I'll do as you have suggested. Just curious if there were signs in the any way they may act that will hint besides fighting. They eat together, drink together, sleep together, clean each other... it APPEARS to be fine. But are there signs such as sleeping apart? or.. i dont know where to begin with this one....

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Haha, I know what you mean. No signs other than the obvious. If they seem fine, thats great. Just watch them, night time is usually the time when fights would happen, seeing how thats when they are up and about. If you hear lots of squeaking, check it out, make sure each is fine. If its a constant thing I would deff separate them, stress on the little one is my main concern, wether Chedders means to do it or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts