Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a rat that still had its baby fuzz from work...i just couldnt let him become food. he had a bit of a sneeze but i didnt think anything of it. about a week later it was worse. he had snot covering his nostrils and sometimes would bleed out of his nose. he ate and drank fine.
i put a heating pad under part of his cage maybe thinking it was just a cold and i fed him lots of veggies to help his immune system. but he ended up dieing.
well last night i was given a small rat. but not as small as my first one. but he is still a baby. he had a bit of snot on his nose but he doesnt cough or sneeze.

any ideas...i dont know what else i can do. it was hard loosing the first one, blaming myself for its death. but i dont want to kill the second one as well.
any help would be appreciated

thanks,
fuzz

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rats tend to leak a little bit porphyrin (my spelling is atrocious) all the time. It's red, like blood. All their snot, eye goop, saliva, etc contains this... so they're all somewhat red. If the babe isn't coughing or sneezing make sure he's eating and drinking well and keep an eye on him, he may just have not cleaned up very well in his grooming session. If he does appear to have labored breathing or anything like that, please take the baby to a vet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for replying
he seems to be better now that i got him out of the envirement he was kept at at work. hes really active but is starting to nibble...any ideas on how to keep him from growing up a biter??

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Nibbling is fine, that usually means he's trying to groom you. If he hurts you, squeak at him, to let him know he can't be that rough. Handle him a lot, that always helps. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Forensic said:
Nibbling is fine, that usually means he's trying to groom you. If he hurts you, squeak at him, to let him know he can't be that rough. Handle him a lot, that always helps. :)
hehe. mine nibble me too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts