Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday morning, right before we went to the vet, I noticed Zeeky making a strange sound. Sorta like a light gravely squeak when he breathed. It went away after a few minutes so I thought maybe he just had a booger or something. I asked the doc about it and she said his lungs sounded fine. Yesterday I heard it again, but again it went away after a few minutes. Then this morning he was doing it all morning. Occasionally he'd sneeze and it would quit for a minute then it would come back. But it sounds horrible. I assume he's got a respiratory infection? (from what I've read they don't really get viral colds) He's on antibiotics for the abscess (reason we went to the vet) anyway so should I just run him through the full round and see if it clears up? Or should I take him back to the vet and have him checked out?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
What antibiotics and for how long.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's Sulfatrimethoxazole, and I'm suppose to give it to him for a week. It's the same stuff she gave me when Tempy had a URI a while back and it seemed to work. But he didn't sound like that. That sound is something I'd never heard before.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been giving this to him for 7 days now, and while he sounds better he still has a squeak when he breathes. Especially right after he wakes up. He'll usually walk around making noise for a while then he'll sneeze and it will go away. How long should I give it? Should I make a vet appointment and try to get some Baytril instead?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've been giving this to him for 7 days now, and while he sounds better he still has a squeak when he breathes. Especially right after he wakes up. He'll usually walk around making noise for a while then he'll sneeze and it will go away. How long should I give it? Should I make a vet appointment and try to get some Baytril instead?
Is give the vet a call and let them know the medication hasn't worked fully. Normally they will switch it out for something else. I'd try Baytril or doxycycline.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is give the vet a call and let them know the medication hasn't worked fully. Normally they will switch it out for something else. I'd try Baytril or doxycycline.
He's not actually been to the vet for the URI. He just happened to go in for an abscess the same day the URI started presenting. So the anti-biotics he's on are actually for the abscess not the URI. But they are the same meds she gave me when Tempy had a URI so I figured I'd just do the full course and see if it helped the URI too. It has helped, but doesn't seem to have gotten rid of it completely. When Tempy was on them it was for twice a day for 10 days, Zeeky was only suppose to be taking them once a day for 7 days. I'm trying to decide if I should double him up to twice a day and continue for another week and see if that doesn't do the trick. Or if I should go back for something stronger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts