Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is upper respritory able to pass on to other rats? if so should i seperate the two of them from eachother?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Yep... they are. Yeah, you should seperate both of them if the other one doesn't already have it. And even if they do, it might still be a good idea to seperate... there are different types of URI's.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i will do that right now. crying. what is the percentage that my rat will die even when treated? also how long will it take to treat?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Addo has had respiratory disease all his life, but he is VERY healthy according to the vet. He gets batril often and seems to be very happy, he even has a cagemate, Edgar, who isn't affected by this. My vet told me when it was safe to put them together, and they are both happy. They both go for bi-monthly vet checkups just in case.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am sorry but what i have heard from you two is kinda confusing so i should put pooky's cage mate back in there or not?

Pooky is healthy from my veiw she eats, drinks, nothing red around her eyes or nose, takes her medicine at least most of it, and sleeps soundtly with the occasional sound.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Do not remove her cagemate. They were already together so the cagemate has already been exposed to whatever she has and if it's just a myco flare up all rats have myco so it doesn't necessarily mean the other rat will have a flare up as well. You can remove her to give her her meds though if the other rat is trying to eat the food containing them. Other than that keep them together because being separated would just make things more stressful for her.

(I copy pasted this from answering the same question of yours in another thread XD)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay i wil go put them back in the same cage then. thank you again darksong. :)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Darksong's right - chances are by the time you notice the symptoms, they've both been exposed for some time.

Depending on the infection (for example a myco flare up will only require you to treat the individual rat) your vet may request that both be treated with antibiotics - as a precautionary measure.

That's what I'm having to do with my 18 at the moment - as 8 of them suddenly started coughing one afternoon - and luckily it's gone no further. :) phew!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good luck with that ration. sounds like you have your hands full. winkie actually seems not to make any noise she is like a silent ninja.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts