Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had rats years ago, but haven't in a while. My last mouse recently died, and I think im ready to get another pair of rats! I have my girl's old cage in storage, it says on the cage that it's a critter nation model 162, does that make sense? I don't really know. But anyways, when my old rat kipper died, I didn't really bother to clean the cage other than a quick wipe-down. So now, looking at the cage, there was some urine or something (eww I know) on the bars that dried. It isn't really rusty, because the metal is coated with something, but it is definitely dirty. Is there some way to clean the cage now? I've tried with a paper towel and water, but the stuff is really dried on there. Also, my old rats liked to chew the trays that lined the bottom and the shelves, and they were pretty destroyed, so I had to throw those away. Is there somewhere that I can replace these? I really don't want to buy a new cage, they are so expensive, so any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You can take some hot water with dish soap and a scrub brush to those icky spots and it should come off. If that doesn't work you may have to soak the panels in a bathtub which will release that stuck on stuff. You can order replacement pans here http://www.ferret.com/item/replacement-pan-for-ferret-nation-bottom-pan/630504/. Or, if you don't want another set of plastic pans ruined by new chewers, you can order metal pans here http://www.bassequipment.com/Cage+Pans/Ferret+Nation+Pans/default.aspx. There's no reason you should have to buy a new cage, I've brought one back from what should have been the grave for it lol Just have to put some elbow grease into it :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha thanks! I'll definitely try that. Are there replacement pans for the other levels of the cage too? And one more question...is this cage big enough for a pair of rats? How many rats could it hold maximum?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Yeah, ferret.com should have the shelves too. The cage calculator says you can have 5 rats in a single. I keep 4 rats in a double and they love it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I think I'm going to get the metal trays. But there are only two trays they're selling...do they have trays for the two smaller levels?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks! I think I'm going to get the metal trays. But there are only two trays they're selling...do they have trays for the two smaller levels?
I just wanted to vouch for the metal trays. I spent a bit more for the stainless steel versions and am very happy... as I believe you have to do something special to the galvanized versions (don't ask me what...I forgot! LOL)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I'll get the plastic trays for the smaller shelves. So what is the difference between the stainless steel trays and the normal metal ones?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kksrats- those are extra shelves, not trays. Does anyone know where I can get trays for the 2nd and 4th shelf in the double critter nation cage? The links for the metal and plastic ones only had the trays that covered the whole cage. My cage has levels that are only half the length of the cage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts