Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And oie.
I came here hoping to find some help but the rules has me playing nice first!

So hello, I am Sekhet. In the past I have owned three male rats and a female and I loved each of them. Wonderful personalities, and my dear Sappho was an absolute doll. Now I am put back into it with 2 rats I had taken in from a woman who can no longer take care of them and put in the time needed for them.

In this is one albino rat, a year and a half, and the source of my concern. He is a biter and has just bitten me as I was trying to place a bowl with two berries in his cage.

The other is a black fellow with a white belly, 7 months old, and very sweet, he's in a container and has had no issues with me giving him treats!

They were being worked with over the last two weeks for introductions however Ill have to put a stop to it (and find Wit a permanent housing, that plastic tub is not going to fly) until at minimum I have the albino's biting/handling issue taken care of. So I am a bit in over my head...now I know he's lashing out but...why? And what was it this woman did not tell me and how can I manage it into a minimum compromise that the albino and I will get along and I can get into the cage to feed him and clean it out without him getting hostile? *falls over*

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ooookay. How about reading.

http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?39776-Timid-or-Aggressive-Rat-Trust-Training

The first step for all routes of socialization is to let your new rat adjust to their surroundings. Keep them in a minimally decorated cage, with one place to hide, such as a nesting box or tissue box, and their food and water. Don't start loading in the toys yet. Let them adjust for a couple days, perhaps two or three, and try to keep the room quiet and free from major traffic. You can sit near their cage and speak to them calmly, but don't attempt handling or giving them treats until they've settled down.

Someone is getting retrofitted in the morning after I calm down. I don't need him knowing he has me on my toes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have actually never owned rats (still preparing to get my first two in a couple months), so I can't really help you, but welcome the forums and I hope someone else here is able to give some advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts