Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! So it’s officially been 11 days since Bubz and Pip have been neutered. They’re doing great no one messed with their stitches and have been eating and drinking perfectly. they even finished the medicine the vet prescribed. The vet said I should wait 4 weeks before reintroducing them since it takes awhile for their hormones to go away since the reason they got fixed to begin with was their hormonal aggression.

but I was wondering if it would be too soon or not for them to at least try to slowly introduce them right now. I wouldn’t try to get them to be cage mates again, but I would at least want them to hangout in an open area for a little bit each day so they aren’t lonely every day.

currently their set up is I have a 2 level cage that can be separated in the middle. Pip had the top level and Bubz has the bottom. They always try to talk to each other through the corner edge of the cage where one of Bubz platforms is tall enough to get close to a small bar gap on Pips level. So they talk to each other through there and they don’t seem to be aggressive in doing so. It’s just them both trying to sniff each other with bulging eyes.

When they each have their separate free roam time I’ll hold one of them (example Bubz) I’ll be holding Bubz close to Pips cage and Bubz doesn’t even notice Pip is in front of him he’s only focusing on wanting to climb to the top of the cage and Pip will try to sniff him through the bars and will stick his paws out but nothing seems aggressive. I used to do this when they were seperated before the neuters and Pip would show his teeth and And vigorously try to grab at Bubz.

Sometimes Bubz will try to nip at Pips toes through their little talking spot but I think that’s just because hes curious at why there’s a little finger in his cage nothing aggressive.

I’ve also tried to swap their used bedding and neither of them react negatively when they smell the others bedding. Before the neuter I also tried this and Bubz hair would be raised but after the neuter theyre totally unbothered by it and Bubz even will try to use Pips used bedding as nesting material.

so from what I can tell their hormones have definitely gone down even though it’s been a week and I would like them to be able to interact with each other, but the vet did say a month is when they should 100% have their hormones in check. So I don’t want to jinx it but I also think they might miss their buddy.

sorry this is so long but I wanted to get your guys thoughts on this.

·
Registered
953 Posts
It sounds like you're looking for permission to not follow your vet's recommendations. You know your rats, what they've been through, and their behaviors better than us. If you'd like to get started on reintroducing them before their hormone levels have balanced out, that's your choice. I can't tell you whether or not it will be okay. You could continue to follow your vet's recommendations and wait another 2 weeks or you could risk it and reintroduce them early. It's totally your call.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More so just looking to see if any of you guys have had experiences with reintroducing rats before the 4 week mark.

I did end up giving it some thought and they can at least talk to each other and sniff eachother through the little gap so they’re just going to have to put up with that for a couple more weeks. With my luck I’d end up jinxing the whole thing.

till then I’ll just keep swapping out some of their things so they can get more and more used to eachother scents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts