Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this might be a silly question but can I keep our old hammocks and use them with any new rats we adopt? We just lost our three boys the last month and while they modified most of their hammocks to have extra doors or so they could get into liners they are still together enough to be usable. It just occurred to me though that maybe I shouldn't do this?

I went through the stock of everything and bleached the cage and any plastic toys and homes I planned to keep. I tossed what fabric was too chewed and used to be kept but was planning to keep what could still be used. We don't plan to adopt in the near future, the new year at the earliest. The hammocks are made out of fleece and some have a fleece/cotton combo. I've washed them all in detergent/bleach for a cycle then vinegar for a second cycle before drying. They still smell like rats to me though, lol. Especially after coming hot out of the dryer.

I just wasn't sure if, even though they are clean, new rats would smell the old ones and get confused. Being moved to a new home is stressful enough.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I do not see why it would be a problem? I would definitely use any hammocks/liners that were in a salvageable state for new rats without much concern.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
it is all good :) Just wash them and yeah using vinegar should remove all smells.

I use the same fleece/hammocks between all of my rats in different cages and no one seems to bat an eye about it. It is all fresh and clean.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Like what was mentioned before - wash in vinegar and hot water. Even do a couple cycles if you're worried. I swap out fleece and hammocks all the time and nobody cares or seems to notice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts