Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My black berk is getting really bad rusting of her fur. I know part of that is bad genetics (she is a pet store rat) but I've heard that diet can have an affect as well. Is there anything I can feed her to help her fur go back to being black? Or at least slow down the rusting?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't know anything about reversing something like that, but I like it, it adds character. :D

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I find the overall condition of the rat can reverse rusting but this is with rescues that came to me in horrid shape. I would say you're just going to have to live with it. I think she's lovely :D

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it common for rusting to stay in one area? Or might she turn that color all over? Her head is still nice and black, it's just that patch on her back. It would be funny if she rusted all over, and I could tell people I have a color changing rat ^_^

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I've heard from somewhere that lowering protein can help. It seemed to when Jack went a little reddish. But that could have been totally different.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Their staple is Nutro Natural, with 14% protein. So I guess her color is here to stay ^_^

I forgot to ask about this originally, but does rusting affect the quality of fur? Her head and shoulders and nice and smooth and shiny and look good, but in that patch her fur looks messy and icky. It's hard to see in the picture because of the shiny-ness, but she has little spots of thinning fur in that area. Since the rest of her fur is nice, I don't think it has to do with her diet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a black berkshire that is rusting around behind his forearms and a small bit at the base of his tail. I read that it had to do with age (he's a year and a half). It's the first I heard of it possibly having to do with genetics, protein, or other factors. o_O

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My girl started to rust at about 5 or 6 months. She's still under a year now, so I'm pretty sure it's not age ^_^

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
my berks are also rusting slowly... ash is beginning to look like ginger in colour (but not size), and soot has only just started. they are both around 6-7 months, so its not age (unlike mummy's grey hair, lol!!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts