Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

As I've mentioned a few days back Oliver scratches (and cleans his toes). Barry doesn't do it as frequently as Ollie does. Ollie will even do it when we're hanging out in the bathroom. He interacts with me and Barry (they are starting to wrestle more and more...which worries me, but that's another topic! ;) ) well enough, but he'll stop to scratch himself.

I don't SEE any scabs, but then again, he doesn't sit still long enough for me to comb through his rex fur. ;)

Is there any harm in starting both rats on Revolution? Is it something that is put on just for a while and then stopped? Or can people use it on rats as they use it on dogs and cats? (A maintenance thing)?

I did freeze their first package of bedding before I put it in...but failed to do it on the second. I plan on going to strictly Borris mats, so I don't think that will play a factor.

Thank you for any guidance. :)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You have to use KITTEN revolution. You use it once, and then again after a few weeks if they are still showing signs. I'm not even sure if you use the whole dose. Please check with a vet or someone with more experience first. I probably wouldn't constantly do it. It's more of a treat once until signs show up again type treatment. Even if one shows signs, everyone has it. With mine, I had a huge mite infestation but only Chai showed symptoms.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hi - I've used kitten Revolution successfully on my rats. Just put one drop between their shoulder blades where they can't lick it off. Keep the rat separated for 15 or so until it dries, so his friend won't try to lick it off. Then treat his friend using the same method. The "one drop" dose works for an adult rat, but I wouldn't use it for babies. Repeat after 2 weeks. I wouldn't use it for maintenance, use only if you determine they have ectoparasites.

I suggest you examine the rat under a very bright light. Use a comb to part his fur, and use a magnifying glass if you have to. This works best if the rat was recently sleeping ;) If you determine mites, you'll want to scrub the entire cage down and freeze all of their stuff.

Having said that --- rats tend to scratch a lot whether or not they have mites. Even dry skin can make them scratch. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell what's causing it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Grotesque and Minky, for your advice.

During my upcoming spring break I may take them into a vet that works with rats and have a full health exam.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If you are going to the vet anyway, you might want to ask about this: to save money, my vet will take one dose of revolution and make little syringes to take home to treat all 7 of my girls. She only charges me for the one full dose of revolution so it ends up super cheap. I get two syringes for each rat. An immediate dose and a follow-up for 2 weeks later.

Listen to Minky. That is excellent advice. Everything needs to be sterilized or the mites will come right back.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are going to the vet anyway, you might want to ask about this: to save money, my vet will take one dose of revolution and make little syringes to take home to treat all 7 of my girls. She only charges me for the one full dose of revolution so it ends up super cheap. I get two syringes for each rat. An immediate dose and a follow-up for 2 weeks later.

Listen to Minky. That is excellent advice. Everything needs to be sterilized or the mites will come right back.
Thank you for the advice on the syringes...and yes, I would sterilize everything. Appreciate the help from you both!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
When I mean syringes, I mean she breaks the needles off so I can drip it between their shoulders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts