Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking Mort may be a Rex or Double Rex. He's a dumbo hooded for sure, but his coat is unlike Binky's and his whiskers are a bit curly. Can he be a partial rex? He's got thin hair right behind his ears and head (you can see his skin) and he's...I dunno...fluffier. Any ideas on how to tell?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I guess he's a rex then, from what I gather a double rex is when both dam and sire (what are the rattie names for this?) are rexes. It just seemed like the baldness was more common in double rexes.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I don't think baldness depends on type of fur. Blaze has standard fur and he's a little bald behind his ears.
Though I do believe their is a fur type that's called patchworks where there's just patches of fur on the rat.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I thought it was just poor diet when I got him, the girl who gave him to me was feeding him dog food and before that he was just being fed table scraps. (Yeah, I found him on craigslist, I knew nothing of proper rat care, I'm learning fast. Rest assured he's on oxbow now.)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yeah, I thought it was just poor diet when I got him, the girl who gave him to me was feeding him dog food and before that he was just being fed table scraps. (Yeah, I found him on craigslist, I knew nothing of proper rat care, I'm learning fast. Rest assured he's on oxbow now.)
I can see how you could of thought that. When we first rescued my dog from an abusive family his elbows were bare of fur from poor diet and stress.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Do you have a picture of him? I have a Rex, though he isn't pretty. He's a really poor Rex, and honestly looks a little matted and frizzy lol.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Rex's, especially bucks, often get a little bald as they get older. I had one rex lad who was very thin all over with virtually bald patches by the time he was an old man. He was definitly just stadard rex (though a very bad example as his fur was more wavy than curled)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts