Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my rats LOVE rice crispies, and I've decided to use them to train the rats to come when I call etc..
Leaf does great and will (just fell off my desk><) come when I call her, most of the time. On the other hand, Rem don't even twitch when I say stuff to her. She doesn't react to my voice at all, and the otehr day my brother was drilling holes in something and I walked outside with my rats in my hands.
Leaf was scared back into my jacket pocket and Rem just sat there in my hand and looked around.

So my guess is that she's deaf, and I was curious as to how you'd train a deaf rat to come? She knows that she gets treats at the cage door if she shows up, but other than that, it just depends on when she want's to wander over to me on the computer desk.

Oh yeah, and how many rice crispies should I give them each day?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I haven't read about training deaf rats, but I know a little bit about things people do to teach deaf ferrets how to come. Since rats are smarter, I bet these tricks will work just as well.

A lot of people will teach their pets sign language, but since rats have poor vision this might not work as well, or to come to a vibration like stomping on the ground. The best, in my opinion, is teaching them to come to a light, like a flashlight or a laser pointer.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
A good way to see if she is deaf is to have someone come up behind her and shake a can full of coins RIGHT behind her. Continuous noise could just mean she's docile, but something coming up behind her and making a noise and her not turning around would be a sure bet that she is actually deaf.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just brainstorming here. If she really is deaf you could probably teach her to come useing some type of vibration. You might try teaching her to come when you stomp down on the floor or pound the floor with your hand etc.
If you want to really experiment something like a radio with the volume down all the way, and the base up all the way, stick the speaker on the floor. She'll most likely go and investigate the source of the vibration and then she'll find a treat. Keep the speaker in the same place all the time and try it over longer and longer distances till eventually she's across the room or however far you let her wander :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts