Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think i may have gotten ringworm from one of my rats. the problems just keep coming! i just figured this would be the best place to ask advice. i'm thinking, while giving my one rat a bath, she really clawed up my arms(i wasnt wearing long sleeves). now, i've had what appears to be some type of ringworm develope on the inside of my left wrist. my question is, how do i know if my rat actually has it? and how would i get rid of it on her? is there an obvious way to tell? i cant see anything under her fur. please help!

·
Registered
798 Posts
okay first of all if your rat has ringworm there should be visible patches of hair missing, and second of all, its not an actual worm so if you do get it don't be overly grossed out.. I got it from my guinea pigs when i was a kid and I had it on my face, it usually tends to look like a circular rash. I believe a veterinarian can perscribe you some antibiotic cream to put on the actual rash if your rat does have it, and your doctor can do the same for you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
that is exactly what happened to me. I bathed my ratties and got clawed and a few days later, ringworm.

Its a fungal infection is all - get some lotrisone/lotrimine from the pharmacy and it will clear up

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, so my question to you DFW is, how to i figure out where my ratties may have it? i dont see any obvious spots. i would think it would be obvious where they have it. how do i go about getting rid of it on them if they do actually have it? topical treatments?

·
Registered
407 Posts
you know - the odd thing is that I NEVER found a place on my ratties. Not even one. And Ive not gotten any since, so its a mystery.

Since I never found it on my ratties, I never had to deal with it in regards to them. However, based on advice that I go here and research I did on my own, the same OTC topicals that work on humans for ringworm also work on the ratties

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks so much! that's exactly my issue - i don't see any spots on mine either but its the only thing that makes sense. i got it a couple days after i bathed my rattie. i'll just keep an eye out i guess.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Antifungal cream like Lamasil is good for ringworm if it's not an advanced case (in humans)

You can get medicated antifungal shampoo for cats and dogs which works really well with rats if used in small doses.

I've just spent 3 months trying to get rid of a ringworm cycle between me and one of my hairless (dbl rex) boys! It made him very ill in the end, but he's much better now after the shampoo treatments. Maybe get some as a preventative measure?

My vet also suggested that the shampoo would be good for humans too (on the afftected area) Or use something like Hibiscrub

Hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts